Communication Groups - Is this possible RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. We are medium sized company rolling out OCS2007. We've got the server built, up and running. The IT dept has the client installed for testing and all looks good.

Before we roll out the application company wide, we need to find a solution (if possible) to the following:

We only want users of a particular dept to be able to use communicator with users of the same dept. Obviously, managers and officers would not have this restriction. Is this possible to setup and how?

Any information provided would be helpful.

Thanks. 
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:32 AM

All replies

• Hmm, not sure if there is an easy way to do it.  Maybe one of the others can give a definitive answer.  The one way I thought of could do it but it's not straight forward.

If you bulk loaded the users into each person's MOC for them you could assign everyone on a department to a Team Access Level.  Then everyone who is outside of the team you would assign them to the Blocked Access Level.  Like I said, not pretty, but it should work.

You can use LCSAddContacts.wsf from the resource kit to import contacts to a user and their access level. 

cscript LCSAddContacts.wsf /usersFile:value /contactsFile:value /contactsGroup:value

That said, while I was off looking around for the syntax of
    LCSAddContacts again I found this web site:

http://www.ocscm.com/

Might be worth looking at.  I've never touched the product before so test it out.  Like I said, the above should work in theory but I'll be honest never tried it for this purpose.  Maybe someone has a better solution or R2 solves this problem.

Richard
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:24 AM
  • Thanks. I have already been playing around with the cscript and have been able to pre-populate a users MOC with contacts that I want them to have. So far this works well. Although when you consider the number of departments, creating seperate usersfile and contactsfile will very time consuming.

If that's the best I can do, then I will accept that. But then I stll have the issue of preventing the end user from adding contacts as they wish. I want to present them with a list of just their dept's users. Ideally, this would be a dynamic list that would automatically update based on AD. I have looked into the GP Admin Template for OCS 2007 and cannot see where, if available, to disable adding contacts at the user level.

As for R2, who knows? It would be nice to hear from someone who has a copy of R2 that can offer some insight.

Thanks again.
    Kenny 

Monday, January 5, 2009 6:23 PM