Network Status Light? RRS feed

• Question

• When the home server was first revealed a few of the OEM manufactures showed off cases that contained lighting that reflected the status of the network. I believe that the HP model had custom case lights that would turn amber or red if the status of the network changed. I would like to know how this would work and will it be possible to add this feature to a home made home server?

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 3:13 PM

All replies

• I would guess that the information is exposed through WMI, then there's a driver that reads that info and manipulates the status lights. But that's only a guess, until I have time to dig into WMI on my WHS.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 11:25 PM
  • Guess it depends on what you mean by status of the network.  WMI can tell you more than you want to know about Windows resources, but I don't think that it knows anything about WHS.

Someone on the WHS Team said that there will be a WHS SDK.  I assume that it will provide WHS status.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:45 PM
  • I think I understand a bit more now. I suppose that OEM manufactures will build there own applications to handle exterior status lights. I was hoping that a USB light would be released that would simply plug in to the back or maybe a motherboard header and software already built into WHS would handle the rest.
    Friday, March 23, 2007 10:21 PM
  •  Paul Webb wrote:
    I suppose that OEM manufactures will build there own applications to handle exterior status lights.

You got it.

My personal opinion on status lights is that they are needed only for POST (power-on self test) to diagnose a broken server that won't boot or talk to clients.  Although the status information available from a connected client is minimal in the current beta, it has the potential to be much richer and more useful as the product develops.. 

Saturday, March 24, 2007 5:54 AM
  • There is plenty of scope to provide detailed information to the end user from the connector software here but what I'm interested in at the moment is the ability to simply glance at the server box when I get home and see a green light. Then I can just get on with my evening. If it's amber or red then I can start my laptop and see what's wrong. I want to know what the status of the server and the network are without having to start up a machine and check out the server connector software. I know it's early days yet but I'm hoping this kind of hardware will become available soon.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:47 AM