CPU Choice. Not sure what's best RRS feed

• General discussion

• Cost is an issue since I would like to build a low cost, low power consumption unit that has a lot of potential for future expansion. I have a choice between the following 2 CPU's and would like some advice before I jump in

1.) Intel Celeron 430 Conroe-L 1.8GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 35W Single-Core Processor

Cost $43.99 CDN on NewEgg.ca

2.) Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Cost $79.99 CDN on NewEgg.ca

BTW, I plan to use wither chip with a GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard.

What are the pros and cons of one or the other? Way I see it, Option 1 is way better that the minimum specification and it's a server so really doesn't need all that much horsepower. the fact it's a 35W vs a 65W will also provide lower power consumption I suppose. However Celeron is a 64nm tech and Wolfdale is a 45nm tech. Is is important in a WHS unit? 

Your opinion(s) would be greatly appreciated.

• Changed type chuck_in_montreal Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:27 PM Perhaps there are more options
    • Moved by Lara JonesModerator Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:55 PM Moving to Hardware forum (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:25 PM

All replies

• I had my old one running on a 2.2ghz sempron single core processor and at the moment I am running on a skt 478 intel celeron single core 1.8 ghz. To me I think processor speeds dont really matter aslong as they're about 1GHz, its the memory you want more of. I think power consumption is a important part cause it will be on pretty much if not 24/7, so anyway me personally would take the celeron, but I will let the others argue this point.

Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:38 PM
  • when you say i'll need more memory, you mean ram? I plan 2GB ram and 640 GB hdd to start. Will add a TB sometime down the road. For RAM, thought 2GB was plenty but would like to know if I should plan on more.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:50 PM
  • I think either would run just fine, however, I would recommend getting the 2.5GHz just for a little extra power.  I'm running my WHS on a Celeron 3.0GHz and 768mb RAM, and it's perfect.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:53 PM
  • well when I had my previous Home Server it only had 1gb memory and as about had a 2.2ghz single core processor and it was running 24/7 with no problems apart from one and that was because of Tversity media streaming. Once removed when back to a decent speed. But at present I am using a 1.7Ghz Celeron 478 processor and 512mb RAM and that is pretty much min you should go to and I it just runs a tad slow, but I have ran the same movie of both my workstation PCs and my xbox 360 and the actual server without any loss of performance. So to me I dont think it really matters which one you pick, because either one is a skt 775 processor, so they will run faster than a old skt 478 computer.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Well, it depends.
    If you want to add features, which are not supported, or if you plan to use the same hardware with the next WHS release, go with the higher end. (You might even consider a CPU with virtualization support.)
    If you plan to use only the features, which are part of the WHS OS as delivered, also each low level CPU does the job.
    Also the power consumption of the CPU is not that important in my opinion, if the CPU is constructed well, so that it doesn't take a lot on idle mode (but has still a good reserve if needed).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, July 6, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Thanks everyone. Your input has be very helpful.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:31 PM