IM fails to send to Corporate AIM RRS feed

• Question

• Our Office Communicator 2007 are having problem sending IM to corporate AIM. For example one of our contact is using a Corporate AIM, his IM address as an example is fistlastname@theircompanyname.com. If we try to send him an IM communicator does not seem to recognize this and when we told him to send us an IM he said it does not give him any errors but we never receive it. Connecting to a regular aol account does not have any problem. any help? - thanks

Our environment is OCS 2007 standard (one frontend server and one access edge server) OC 2007.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:48 PM

Answers

• OK, I got an answer from someone on the product team, the AOL gateway used by the PIC federation does not support that address scheme like the MSN gateway does.  So at this point I don't think you can communicate directly with any AIM users who aren't using an approved AOL domain in their AIM sign-on name.

I've asked if there are any plans to extend that support but since it's related to AOL's gateway the ball is in their court, so to speak.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:47 PM

All replies

• Interesting scenario.  OCS will automatically use the domain after the @ symbol in the IM address to attempt a connection.  If they aren't running an Edge server for that domain (obviously they wouldn't be) then those SIP requests will fail.  MSN handles this by using @msn.com for EASI (e-mail as sign in) addresses.  For example, if my MSN messenger sign-in address is user@invalid.dom, I would add this to my Communicator contact list as user(invalid.dom)@msn.com.  That's the first thing I'd try for AOL, but I have no idea whether or not it will work.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:39 PM
  • Mike, that format is correct for all PIC contacts.

The list of supported domain names can be found at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897567

So for the example above the IM address should be: firstlastname(theircompanyname.com)@aol.com

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Thanks for the validation - I haven't hit this in any of my production installations and that KB article only specifies that format for MSN.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:37 PM
  •  

Thanks Mike, Thanks Jeff appriciate you guys are helping - But Unfortunately when I tried it I got this error:

The following message was not delivered to firstlastname(company.com)@aol.com. More details (ID:5001)

test

The url for more details point to this:

http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview.aspx?AssetID=HA102324511033&ns=COMM2007&lcid=1033

although I tried this through IM looks like its getting timed out also.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Ok, so I looked through my contacts and I actually don't have any 'corporate' AOL users, so it's possible that the format above doesn't actually work for AIM.  I know it works for MSN as Mike pointed out and thought I used an sbcglobal.com addess in that format a while back for a Yahoo contact.

There is little documentation on much of the PIC functionailty, so I wouldn't be supposed it either it doesn't even work with AOL, or there is some other solution. I'm going to bounce this one off the other MVPs.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:04 PM
  • I have a note out to the guy who manages PIC at MS and will let you know what I hear as well.  My suspicion is that it won't be possible.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Again thank you very much guys - let me know what you find out anything

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:55 AM
  • OK, I got an answer from someone on the product team, the AOL gateway used by the PIC federation does not support that address scheme like the MSN gateway does.  So at this point I don't think you can communicate directly with any AIM users who aren't using an approved AOL domain in their AIM sign-on name.

I've asked if there are any plans to extend that support but since it's related to AOL's gateway the ball is in their court, so to speak.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:47 PM
  • I appreciate it very much Jeff and Mike for all the help - Although we did not like the outcome at least we have a definitive answer and this is actually a great finding. Hope someday in the near future someone can update this thread when this will be supported, I am sure it will help a lot of people using OCS and will lessen OCS linitations in a sense. 

Jeff and Mike great work, the informations you provided in this thread help us a lot. Thanks

Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:05 PM
  • Tom Laciano posted a blurb on his blog based on our MVP discussion on this topic yesterday:

http://blogs.technet.com/toml/archive/2008/10/15/ocs-pic-with-aol-and-corporate-domains.aspx

Apparnely the current PIC 1.0 agreements are nearing expiration and if/when PIC 2.0 contracts are signed with third parties we'll then publicly learn about what feature/support changes may be included.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:11 PM
  • We recieved this from AOL

In the case of Identity Services customer's domains (who all are of the form @somedomain.com) we recommend to be visible and available for connectivity with LCS domains, the domained screenname site should publish a DNS resource record in the following format, where example.com represents the customer's domain:

_SIPFederationTLS._TCP.example.com 3600 IN SRV 0 1 5061 sip.oscar.aol.com.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:49 PM