New action feature request RRS feed

• General discussion

• I think this has been mentioned in other posts, but here is a formal feature request:

Can you please add a Mirror action that creates an exact copy of the left folder on the right folder.

So its similar to Echo, except it deletes any new files/folders on the right that dont exist on the left.

Thanks

Tim Parker-Nance

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:22 AM

All replies

• Hi TimPN,

This is interesting. Would you like to talk about more details of your scenarios, please? Would it be used in scenarios that need to avoid unexpected created or updated files/folders, such as anti-virus?

(But SyncToy is based on Microsoft Sync Framework. Please understand that it would take a long time to design and test the logic because the action feature you mentioned is not a typical scenario of Sync Framework. So even this feature is decided to be added, I am not sure how long it will come out. )

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:20 AM
  • Hi

A quick summary of what we are doing. We have a folder with many sub folders / files, about 600GB. In effect it is a library of research PDFs. We have one machine that maintains the library, and other machines that need exact copies of the library once updated. These machines are all disconnected. We are using SyncToy to move this data around to various machines on an external hard drive. Very high tech in the remote areas of South Africa! But we need an exact copy on the other machines. So on the other machines have the folder pairs reversed, i.e the source/left is the external drive.

The problem is that over time the library on the other machine seems to get out of sync, especially if folders are acidentally deleted. The only way to fix this is to delete the folder on the machine, recreate the folder pair and sync. It is very time consuming and requires a techie to do it.

So an exact copy, or mirror action would be great for this situation.

As for the non typical sync, isnt it just an extra step at the end of the sync, where you preview sync from the right folder to the left folder, and all new files on the right need to be deleted on the right?

Thanks

Friday, March 26, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Sounds like a "Robocopy /MIR" function you are after.  If I have understood right, Robocopy is standard tool in Vista and newers, and part of XP Resource Kit.

The tool did those deletes ("delete all extra files from the target folder") you described, and I didn't want that functionality... : )

cheers.. C[_]

Sunday, April 4, 2010 7:11 AM