none
Use PowerShell to add a file path exclusion in MSE? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Is it possible to use PowerShell to add an exclusion path in MSE? My problem is I have about 1000 computers that I need to add this exclusion to. Since it is read only I cant use a simple batch file using REG ADD to make it happen. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Joe

• Changed type Bill_Stewart Monday, September 11, 2017 3:23 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Monday, September 11, 2017 3:23 PM This is not Security Essentials management forum
    Friday, July 7, 2017 9:15 PM

All replies

• Use Group Policy rather than a script. (GPOs can distribute registry settings.)

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, July 7, 2017 9:20 PM
  • Sorry I meant to add I cannot use GPO as these are all separate computers and not related to each other. These are also all Windows 7.
    Friday, July 7, 2017 9:24 PM
  • GPO is part of a Windows domain. Are you saying these computers are not members of a domain?

Also, what does "Since it is read only" mean?

Friday, July 7, 2017 9:29 PM
  • I have a method of delivery to reach all 1000 computers I just need the code to make it happen. Anyhow if anyone has any ideas it will be greatly appreciated.
    Friday, July 7, 2017 9:32 PM
  • GPO is part of a Windows domain. Are you saying these computers are not members of a domain?

Also, what does "Since it is read only" mean?

Friday, July 7, 2017 10:25 PM
  • These computers are not on a domain. When I mention read only. I am unable to make changes through the registry to add an exclusion path. For example I could have pushed out a simple batch file with a REG ADD command. I simply get an access denied message.
    Saturday, July 8, 2017 3:48 PM
  • If you get access denied then you do not have sufficient permissions to change the registry value.  Many registry values can only be changed by the system.  Many entries are owned by the "Trusted Installer" and cannot be changed.

MSE locks most of its keys and will not allow them to be edited directly.  This is for security reasons.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, July 8, 2017 3:52 PM
  • I just did a quick check and the key for exclusions is protected.  You cannot change it via a script.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, July 8, 2017 3:56 PM
  • Thank you. I knew it was read only except for the system user. I was hoping for a work around. Interestingly enough you can add an exclusion path through PowerShell in Windows 10  as it uses Defender.

Saturday, July 8, 2017 5:25 PM
  • Yes -  if you are an administrator running elevated.  That is because the CmdLets for defender are able to access the service and the service performs the changes.

You cannot use this in a logon script.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, July 8, 2017 5:29 PM