Is There A Way to Remote RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to get my computer at work on WHS at home via internet to do backups

Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:49 PM

Answers

• A site to site tunnel will only help a user who's setting up a branch office at home. It makes the "home office" network an extension of the "main office" network. Unless the OP's IT group is willing to do that (unlikely for a number of reasons) the global client is what he wants.
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 2:39 PM

All replies

• bruber,

I have LogMeIn install on my computer at work already when I am working at home, do I have to install it on my home computer also I am alittle confused. Sorry

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:01 PM
  • There is a way to remote access your desktop (both the server and the workstation) by hacking the termsrv.dll.  It's not as ominous as it may sound but it's not easy either.  Google "missing remote connect" or go to www.Greenbutton.com and look for the thread on RDP (remote desktop protocol).  I have managed to get the hack in place (and I am running the most difficult version - Vista Home Premium x64) and it works great locally.  So far, and that's only a couple of hours now, I haven't been able to "find" my host or server from work.  That is a network/firewall issue, not a server or RDP issue.  I tried logmein, and RDP implemented in the MS Remote Desktop Connection is far superior.

good luck

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:13 PM
  •  MJF124 wrote:

bruber,

I have LogMeIn install on my computer at work already when I am working at home, do I have to install it on my home computer also I am alittle confused. Sorry

No, when you have the work computer at home install connector software, run first backup (manually). Then when at work you have to somehow setup a VPN connection to your homenetwork. Logmein is only one of many ways to get this done. Once you've done that you should be able to backup the computer when at work, access your homeserver ans so on.

Problems you may run into are insufficient rights on your work computer, firewall or other security measures at work. IIf you can't setup the connection you will have to ask your system administrator (perhaps you should do this before starting)

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Brubber,

I guess you answered my question. But I still can't figure how to have WHS connect to my home network with LogMeIn. This is probably something stupid on my part , any help would be great.

Friday, August 29, 2008 5:07 PM
  • I have no personal experience with Logmein. Logmein is supposed to be a "simple" way to set up a VPN, however this is just one of many ways to setup VPN Just read the manuals / FAQ's .

For professional purposes people often use dedicated hardware. There's also DSL modems and routers that come with VPN server. For a decent and reasonably priced hardware option have a look at the Sonicwall TZ 150 or TZ 170

Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:11 AM
  • I use a SonicWall at home, and like it a lot. To be honest, though, it's more router than the average home needs by quite a lot. I have/need it because I need a SOHO router, not a residential gateway.

With SonicWall everything beyond the base router is an extra cost option, by the way. To get VPN access using a SonicWall TZ 180 (the 170 has been discontinued) costs around $375 (router is around $330 street for 10 users, one client license is around $45).
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 12:27 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I use a SonicWall at home, and like it a lot. To be honest, though, it's more router than the average home needs by quite a lot.

It could also make the average home network a lot more secure, and is a also a great tool for protecting kids from all kind of ****, all comes at a cost though.

Ken Warren wrote:
    I have/need it because I need a SOHO router, not a residential gateway.

With SonicWall everything beyond the base router is an extra cost option, by the way. To get VPN access using a SonicWall TZ 180 (the 170 has been discontinued) costs around $375 (router is around $330 street for 10 users, one client license is around $45).

Qualitiy comes at a price, however AFAIK the TZ series all come with TWO site to site VPN tunnels, even TZ150. This one should be around $200. Only if you if need global VPN clients you would need TZ170/180 or up.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:33 AM
  • A site to site tunnel will only help a user who's setting up a branch office at home. It makes the "home office" network an extension of the "main office" network. Unless the OP's IT group is willing to do that (unlikely for a number of reasons) the global client is what he wants.
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 2:39 PM