Serial ATA card problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old Soyo motherboard with only two serial ata ports.  I was wanting to add at least one serial ata hard drive for now so thought if I purchased a serial ata card I could.  I purchased a Rosewill RC-212 card and for some reason I cannot get this working with windows home server.  At first I tried just adding the card and drivers and had problems so now I am trying a reinstall and seem to have problems with the card not being recognized.  I wondered if the bios related to this.

I have not done much with serial ata except for this year.  Should I be able to add a drive like this and what is the trick.  Will windows home server just not allow this.  I have thought of trying win xp to just see if it would work using that.

If I cannot use this I was wondering about purchasing a new motherboard via ebay or newegg.  I am just looking for an inexpensive all in one board with at least 4 serial ports and gigabyte ethernet.  I was going to use a gigabyte NIC with this old board.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 9:45 AM

All replies

• Although I have no personal experience with this card, looking at the specs and your description it sure seems like it should work fine.

You might have a bad card so trying it in your XP system may allow you to eliminate that as a possibility.

As for a new motherboard, you may find that you can get a good one with 4+ SATA and Gigabit Ethernet for not much more than the cost of a good Win2003 capable NIC.

Post back with your processor and RAM type and I'm sure someone can recommend something.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:54 PM
  • Currently I have a spare Intel P4 socket 478 processor and DDR2 memory sticks.  If anythine I would like a board with 4 serial ata ports.  I see these older boards the serial operates slower but I wondered if that would be noticable.  On the other hand I had looked into purchase an inexpensive Asus AM2 board.  I have one and love it.

I have a 500GB serial drive and 2 250GB serial drives.  I was looking to use the 500 as the primary and the others for backup.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:32 PM
  • I've got a Rosewill RC-209 4 port SATA card in my old Dell PIII 800 that runs under RC-1 without problems.  This card is plain PCI.  I had to feed WHS the card driver during install, but you should be able to install using your onboard SATA and add the storage drivers for the card in the hardware manager.

Please detail the problems you are having (error messages, etc).

Monday, October 15, 2007 1:03 AM

• I attempted to load the RC-209 and none of the drivers on the CD appear to work.  May I ask which one you are loading from the CD?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:56 AM
  • well I have a old celeron 1.7Ghz socket 478 with 512mb DDR1 RAM and it runs rather well despite the old and crummy hardware had it running 2 weeks without a problem. Anyway the motherboard has PATA sockets only, so I had to buy 3 SATA PCI Cards I also had a problem installing them on WHS took me about a week to get it sorted, my post will be on here somewhere, you just have to keep trying, if there is not Server 2003 drivers on the disc that was supplied with the card, try looking on the Internet. As for old 478 SATA ports and addin cards being SATA 1.5 yes they will be slower than SATA 2 but I have not really seen any performance decrease and I have had 3 pc inc server and a 360 connected to network and I played the same file on all devices and there was no loss. You may find a small decrease when moving files onto the server, but thats something I am not bothered about.
    HMG
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:52 AM