Cannot Connect to Server Console RRS feed

• Question

• WHS (without PP1 beta) has been running fine on an HP Homeserver for about 6 months – but since yesterday I cannot connect to the Home Server Console however the icon in the system tray is green. I can Remote desktop into server and run server console and also view shared files from this client running XP pro (from the shared files option on the tray icon) and still use internet remote access using IE7 and \\server name or ip address. Also backups are still working.

Interestingly I can ping server using 192.168.0.141 and via net ip address but when I use the server name I get reply from server.org.uk with an ip address of 69.64.155.130.

I have tried to add 192.168.0.141    server name    to the ImHosts file - no change

I am not aware of any significant event happening on this client except recent XP security update or on the server that would cause loss of ability to connect. I've tried rebooting client and server, powering down/up the router, etc. Also I can connect to console from another client PC running vista ultimate.

Error message reads

This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently been restarted try again in a few minutes

When I run Discover.exe, it gets to the point where it asks for my password. When I enter my password it comes back with "unable to connect to your home server. If I ask for the password hint it says "an error occurred while trying to connect". – I know the admin password is correct otherwise I could not RDP or sucesfully connect using vista client

Error message reads

Unable to connect to your home server.
    The following issues may cause this problem:
    - Your home server is not powered on.
    - A firewall on this computer is blocking the connection
    - A proxy server is configured on this computer for the network connection.

I cannot reinstall connector software as if fails after the server password request with the following PCdiscovery log errors

[18/07/2008 18:38:44  a14] ERROR: wWinMain failed, HR=0x80070002 (at func: RegDeleteValue, d:\qhsv1_rtm_qfe\qhs\src\client\discovery\main.cpp (165)
    [18/07/2008 18:38:44  a14] m_PartnerManager.CoCreateInstance.
    [18/07/2008 18:38:44  a14] Calling m_PartnerManager.StopServerDiscovery.
    [18/07/2008 18:38:44  a14] m_PartnerManager.StopServerDiscovery returns 0x8000FFFF.
    [18/07/2008 18:38:44  a14] Calling m_PartnerManager.StartServerDiscovery.
    [18/07/2008 18:38:44  a14] m_PartnerManager.StartServerDiscovery returns 0x0.
    [18/07/2008 18:38:50  a14] Calling m_PartnerManager.CheckServer, serverName=****, manual=0.
    [18/07/2008 18:39:14  a14] m_PartnerManager.CheckServer returns 0x0.
    [18/07/2008 18:39:23  a14] Calling m_PartnerManager.GetServerDetails.
    [18/07/2008 18:39:33  a14] m_PartnerManager.GetServerDetails returns 0x800C0005.
    [18/07/2008 18:39:33  a14] ERROR: m_PartnerManager.GetServerDetails returns 0x800C0005.
    [18/07/2008 18:39:33  a14] WARN : GetServerDetails cannot get admin name, defaulting to administrator.
    [18/07/2008 18:39:33  a14] ERROR: hr=0x800C0005 (at func: CDialog_Authenticate:SurprisenWizardNext, d:\qhsv1_rtm_qfe\qhs\src\client\common\inc\dialog_authenticate.h (182)) hr 0
    [18/07/2008 18:39:44  a14] CTooltipPageImplBase<class CDialog_NetworkError,class WTL::CPropertyPageImpl<class CDialog_NetworkError,class WTL::CPropertyPageWindow> >:SurprisenNcActivate: tooltip is not shown
    [18/07/2008 18:40:02  a14] CTooltipPageImplBase<class CDialog_NetworkError,class WTL::CPropertyPageImpl<class CDialog_NetworkError,class WTL::CPropertyPageWindow> >:SurprisenNcActivate: tooltip is not shown
    [18/07/2008 18:40:03  a14] CTooltipPageImplBase<class CDialog_NetworkError,class WTL::CPropertyPageImpl<class CDialog_NetworkError,class WTL::CPropertyPageWindow> >:SurprisenNcActivate: tooltip is not shown
    [18/07/2008 18:59:30  a14] CTooltipPageImplBase<class CDialog_NetworkError,class WTL::CPropertyPageImpl<class CDialog_NetworkError,class WTL::CPropertyPageWindow> >:SurprisenNcActivate: tooltip is not shown
    [18/07/2008 18:59:30  a14] CTooltipPageImplBase<class CDialog_NetworkError,class WTL::CPropertyPageImpl<class CDialog_NetworkError,class WTL::CPropertyPageWindow> >:SurprisenNcActivate: tooltip is not shown
    [18/07/2008 18:59:33  a14] CTooltipPageImplBase<class CDialog_NetworkError,class WTL::CPropertyPageImpl<class CDialog_NetworkError,class WTL::CPropertyPageWindow> >:SurprisenNcActivate: tooltip is not shown
    [18/07/2008 18:59:33  a14] Cancel discovery confirmed

All sugestions welcome

Friday, July 18, 2008 6:52 PM

Answers

•  DerrickPETR wrote:
    Well Done Kariya

Followed steps 1 -> 4 - Able to connect to console and use Discovery.exe

BUT - when I reconnect the router to the cable modem same problem

Repeated steps 1->4 it works then reconnect the modem reproduces the problem!!!

at least this rules out firewall - any more suggestions as the vista machine on same router connects to console OK.

PS - Yes this XP client is set up for a work domain but I am currently not connected to work I'm at home - Also Vista machine is my home PC (no domain)

Then there is definitely something wrong with your name resolution.  At this point, The only suggestion I have is try adding the line you added to the lmhosts file to the hosts file instead (which is in the same folder as lmhosts).

Sunday, July 20, 2008 5:51 AM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

Then there is definitely something wrong with your name resolution.  At this point, The only suggestion I have is try adding the line you added to the lmhosts file to the hosts file instead (which is in the same folder as lmhosts).

IT'S FIXED - typed 192.168.0.141    <server name>   in hosts file

Thanks to everyone who offered sugestions and well done Kariya

Sunday, July 20, 2008 8:19 AM

All replies

• Try uninstalling the software first, then try reinstall by running setup.exe from \\hpserver\Software\Home Server Connector Software.

It's also possible a firewall setting on the client is causing the problem. Please read this thread: Re: XP Firewall blocks WHS Connector

Saturday, July 19, 2008 12:43 PM
  • Hi Brubber

Thanks for the reply but no luck with the uninstall followed by reinstall from \\hpserver\Software\Home Server Connector Software.

RE – Firewall does show Windows Home Server Connector as a default exception but I did manually add the 4 ports to the list of exceptions, and it still will not connect to the console!!

Next I tried to switch off Windows Firewall but problem is the on/off toggle is greyed out – “For security reasons this is controlled by group policy”. I'm starting to wonder if this is a firewall problem also but being unable to switch it off leaves me with a headache

Saturday, July 19, 2008 6:21 PM
  • Although maybe no connection, there was another user who has had a similar problem. Theirs turned out to be the NetBios Mode on the Client was changed; it should be either Mixed or Hybrid and theirs had become Peer to Peer.

If you check the ipconfig /all on the problem Client, what does the Mode Type say?

Colin

Saturday, July 19, 2008 6:35 PM
  • Node Type reads - Broadcast

Saturday, July 19, 2008 6:48 PM
  • There could be a possibility that your router might be blocking 'Broadcast', which will cause a failure. The usual for NetBios, (which is required for WHS), is Mixed or Hybrid.

Again, this might be barking up the wrong tree, but worth noting.

Colin

Saturday, July 19, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Changed NetBios to hybrid - still cannot connect to console or use discovery.exe - It was worth a try - Thanks

Anyone else got a suggestion?

Saturday, July 19, 2008 8:54 PM
  •  DerrickPETR wrote:
    Changed NetBios to hybrid - still cannot connect to console or use discovery.exe - It was worth a try - Thanks

Anyone else got a suggestion?

Since your name resolution is pointing you out into the wild blue yonder Wink, you could try flushing your DNS on your client.  At a command prompt type:

Code Snippet
    ipconfig /flushdns

Also, what happens if you break the connection between your modem and your router (so your client can't see the internet any more)?

Sunday, July 20, 2008 12:03 AM
  • Thanks Kariya I was wondering how to flush the DNS - but alas still no luck also have already tried disconecting the router from  the internet - no joy

I'm beginning to think I must find a way to switch off firewall in order to rule it out of the picture

Sunday, July 20, 2008 1:36 AM
  •  DerrickPETR wrote:
    Thanks Kariya I was wondering how to flush the DNS - but alas still no luck also have already tried disconecting the router from  the internet - no joy

I'm beginning to think I must find a way to switch off firewall in order to rule it out of the picture

Did you try it in this order:

1.  disconnect router from modem

2.  flushdns on client

3.  reboot client

4.  then try console?

Also, is that computer part of a corporate domain?  (I can't think of any other reason you would be seeing the "Group Policy" message about your firewall.)

Sunday, July 20, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Well Done Kariya

BUT - when I reconnect the router to the modem same problem

at least this rules out firewall - any more suggestions as the vista machine on same router connects to console OK.

PS - Yes this XP Pro client is set up for a work domain but I am currently not connected to work I'm at home - Also Vista machine is my home PC (no domain)

Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:30 AM
  • My system has been working fine and I cannot connect to the home console.  I enter the password and get a blank blue framed screen.  Nothing ever connects.

I am wondering if this was a result of a recent upgrade to Windows XP Pro to SP 3.  It started happening after that.

Any suggestions?

Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:35 AM
  • Steve can you carry out steps 1 -> 4 from Kariya

Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:38 AM
  •  DerrickPETR wrote:
    Well Done Kariya

BUT - when I reconnect the router to the cable modem same problem

PS - Yes this XP client is set up for a work domain but I am currently not connected to work I'm at home - Also Vista machine is my home PC (no domain)

Sunday, July 20, 2008 5:51 AM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

IT'S FIXED - typed 192.168.0.141    <server name>   in hosts file

Thanks to everyone who offered sugestions and well done Kariya

Sunday, July 20, 2008 8:19 AM
  • While awaiting a reply, I decided to just reboot the server.  So I did.  Now everything seems fine.  All clients have rapid access to the server via the console.  I will keep the other methods printed just in case.  Sometimes the old three finger salute is the quickest fix. 

(For those who do not know what this is, its CONTROL-ALT-DEL).. the old way to boot dos.  Now it runs the task manager.)
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:51 PM