CRM 2011 update rollup 2 fails to install 'DBUpdateInstallInfo_v5' - permissions issue? RRS feed

• Question

• Am updating from (previously) working  CRM2011 rtm on premise to update 2

Have crm database on separate server and get the error below

The logged on user doing the update is the owner (dbo) of MSCRM_CONFIG and the CRM deployment admin

This user is also a server role sql sysadmin - but I want to remove this right

Thanks

David

11:52:45|   Info| Creating column: DBUpdateInstallInfo_V5.CrmDatabase
    11:52:45|   Info| InstallerException: Invalid object name 'DBUpdateInstallInfo_v5'.
    11:52:45|  Error| System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'DBUpdateInstallInfo_v5'.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateInstallInfo.CreateTablesIfNotExists()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateDatabaseInstaller.ConfigOnPremiseInstall()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateDatabaseInstaller.Install(String kbNumber)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateAction.Do(IDictionary parameters)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.CrmAction.ExecuteAction(CrmAction action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---, Error, RetryCancel, Option1
    11:53:18|   Info| InputResult: Cancel

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:11 AM

Answers

• Found a solution!!!

First tried several fixes recommended elsewhere:

1. I removed the "-" in the name of the server, because I read that some previous update rollups couldn't handle installations where the database name had a dash in it

2. I double checked all rights for the user installing the rollup:

- Ability to create objects within the Active Directory organizational unit that is the target parent organizational unit for installing Microsoft CRM.

- SQL Administrator privilege.

- IIS Server local administrator privilege.

- Local Administrator on the computer where Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server is to be installed.

Nothing helped. Finally I looked for the table named "dbo.DBUpdateInstallInfo_V5" in the "MSCRM_CONFIG" database since the exception seems to have been thrown while trying to add a column to the table. The table existed, everything seemed fine.

Finally I just renamed this table (MSCRM_CONFIG.dbo.DBUpdateInstallInfo_V5) to DBUpdateInstallInfo_V5_Old, and re-ran the update rollup. Sure enough, it installed perfectly!

I hope this will help someone with the same problem.

Cheers,

Laszlo

• Marked as answer by David b111 Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:40 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 9:11 AM

All replies

• I am having the exact same issue. Have you found an answer? Or anyone else?

Thanks,

Laszlo

Friday, July 15, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Found a solution!!!

First tried several fixes recommended elsewhere:

1. I removed the "-" in the name of the server, because I read that some previous update rollups couldn't handle installations where the database name had a dash in it

2. I double checked all rights for the user installing the rollup:

- Ability to create objects within the Active Directory organizational unit that is the target parent organizational unit for installing Microsoft CRM.

- SQL Administrator privilege.

- IIS Server local administrator privilege.

- Local Administrator on the computer where Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server is to be installed.

Nothing helped. Finally I looked for the table named "dbo.DBUpdateInstallInfo_V5" in the "MSCRM_CONFIG" database since the exception seems to have been thrown while trying to add a column to the table. The table existed, everything seemed fine.

Finally I just renamed this table (MSCRM_CONFIG.dbo.DBUpdateInstallInfo_V5) to DBUpdateInstallInfo_V5_Old, and re-ran the update rollup. Sure enough, it installed perfectly!

I hope this will help someone with the same problem.

Cheers,

Laszlo

• Marked as answer by David b111 Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:40 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Laszlo

Worked for me too (the update recreated the table with the extra column) BUT I also needed to do a repair of CRM 2011 since I couldn't get the CRM version from IE help, about and I couldn't add a new user (various script errors).

Not too good experience from an update rollup....

Thanks

David

Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:40 PM