How to Install Visual C++ on Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I was recently updating some software on my HP Mediasmart with Windows Home Server.  I received the following error message:

"In order to install Logitech Media Server on this computer you'll have to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86).  Please download it from the following link:  http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8328"

I dutifully did this and I moved the file (vcredist_x86.exe) onto my HP Mediasmart.

Now, I have a really basic question.  How do I run the .exe file in order to install Visual C++ on my HP Mediasmart?

Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:22 PM

Answers

• Not recommended, but you can remote desktop to your Server and run it that way. Whether it will install, run correctly or destroy your server, I have no idea.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Lastps Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:23 PM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Try connecting using the Username  "Administrator" and your server's Administrator password.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:07 PM

All replies

• Not recommended, but you can remote desktop to your Server and run it that way. Whether it will install, run correctly or destroy your server, I have no idea.
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:36 PM
  • You are running" Remote Desktop Connection" from a client (in Programs, Accessories)? In which case just put in "Eva".

Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response!

I'm trying to use remote desktop but am getting this message:

"To log on to this remote computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right.  By default, members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right.  If you are not a member of the Remote Desktop users group or another group that has this right, or if the Remote Desktop User group does not have this right, you must be granted this right manually."

Any ideas?

Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Try connecting using the Username  "Administrator" and your server's Administrator password.
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Thank you Phil.  This worked perfectly.  My software is now updated.
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Lastps - I was just wondering if by "my software is now updated" you mean that you were BOTH 1) able to install C++ on your HP MediaSmart by using Remote Desktop and 2) were thenh able to install the newest version of Squeezebox Server on your HP.

I've just run into the same problem.  Right now I reverted back to version 7.6.1, but if the fix mentioned above by Phil worked for you, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:41 AM