Can't connect to finish install RRS feed

• Question

•  

I bought OneCare off the shelf yesterday on recommendation of the store employee.  My home network is working fine, but I'm having trouble finalizing the OneCare installation.  My computer had no trouble connecting to the Internet, until I installed OneCare, and now I can't connect.  It's connected via a wireless adapter to a Linksys WRT54G router, which I saw was compatible with OneCare.

I have a Live account, at least as far as I can tell, as a result of my hotmail account I've had for a while.  Also, I tried putting in the product code number to log in for support, to no avail.  In fact, just to make the whole experience even more irritating, the log-in suggested I connect to activate my account.

Slap in the face #1: Suggesting the problem be resolved via a means THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

Slap in the face #2: Paying for a subscription, which as far as I can tell began the moment I attempted to install OneCare, which is not only useless in terms of "protecting" me during a term in which I have no access to the Internet as a result of OneCare, but is a double-edged sword: not only do I not have OneCare, but I don't even have what I had when I didn't have OneCare (i.e. Internet access to download a competing product).

Slap in the face #3: Paying for the product off the shelf entitles me to telephone support.  As best as I can tell from the advice so far on this forum, the only means of getting telephone support is for me to submit to being treated as a trial customer.  That, my friend, is a breach of contract.

Slap in the face #4: Realizing, by way of searching online for a resolution to my problem, that there is  a trial version for this product.  Why should the trial version be easier to use than the version I've actually paid for?  Why should the trial version be an excuse for not properly supporting paying customers?  How can I return OneCare to the store that has a no-refunds-on-software policy, despite the fact (as evidenced by the existence of the trial version) that what Microsoft has sold me is not in fact a piece of software, but a subscription to a service.  Believe me, it wasn't in the "subscriptions" aisle at the store.

In short, solve all my problems for me.  Thanks!

Friday, August 29, 2008 2:10 PM

Answers

• First of all, I'm sorry to read that you encountered a problem with activation. See if the following helps to resolve it:

Unable to Connect to Internet to Complete Installation

On the other hand, you also state that you have lost Internet connectivity following the installation of OneCare. To me, that sounds like you may have other security software conflicting with OneCare can causing connectivity to be lost. Be sure to remove all other security software completely. The following post links to a KB article with other common installation troubleshooting:

Troubleshooting Installation Issues - KB Article

Support is difficult to reach and since you purchased OneCare at retail, I agree that you should have access to support with a phone number inside the retail package. I've repeatedly complained about this to Microsoft. You can contact support via email as a trial user per the information below:

FAQ: Reaching Support

{edit} I forgot this part:

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link to this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3811106&SiteID=2. I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

{end of edit}

Now, to get to your other points.

Paying for a subscription, which as far as I can tell began the moment I attempted to install OneCare, which is not only useless in terms of "protecting" me during a term in which I have no access to the Internet as a result of OneCare, but is a double-edged sword: not only do I not have OneCare, but I don't even have what I had when I didn't have OneCare (i.e. Internet access to download a competing product).

You are fully protected by OneCare even if you have not activated as it is in trial mode upon reboot and before activation. You will activate the subscription using the retail key once the connectivity problem is resolved.

Assuming that you have no conflicting security products, do you have the option to connect the PC to your router via a wire temporarily to rule out a problem with the wireless connection - perhaps caused by the OneCare firewall not allowing DHCP to function properly to get the adapter to obtain an IP address from the router wirelessly?

Why should the trial version be easier to use than the version I've actually paid for?  Why should the trial version be an excuse for not properly supporting paying customers?  How can I return OneCare to the store that has a no-refunds-on-software policy, despite the fact (as evidenced by the existence of the trial version) that what Microsoft has sold me is not in fact a piece of software, but a subscription to a service.  Believe me, it wasn't in the "subscriptions" aisle at the store.

I don't have a retail box handy, but as far as I know, it states on the box that you are purchasing a 12 month license for up to 3 computers.

The trial version available via download is exactly the same as what you have installed from the retail box. Based on your experience at install, you'd face the same issue with the trial install.

Microsoft has a 30 day refund policy for packaged software purchased at retail:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp

If you choose to remove OneCare and go for a refund with the intention of using the trial first, do note that a reinstall of OneCare will only net you a 15 day period before you must activate a subscription since you have already installed on this PC. Yes, I know that sounds like slap #5, but apparently the intelligence to know *when* you installed OneCare is not there. It knows it was installed and dates only come into play once you subscribe or while the trial period is underway with the software installed. Whenever you reinstall OneCare for any reason, you get 15 days before you must activate.

-steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 2:27 PM

All replies

• First of all, I'm sorry to read that you encountered a problem with activation. See if the following helps to resolve it:

Unable to Connect to Internet to Complete Installation

On the other hand, you also state that you have lost Internet connectivity following the installation of OneCare. To me, that sounds like you may have other security software conflicting with OneCare can causing connectivity to be lost. Be sure to remove all other security software completely. The following post links to a KB article with other common installation troubleshooting:

Troubleshooting Installation Issues - KB Article

Support is difficult to reach and since you purchased OneCare at retail, I agree that you should have access to support with a phone number inside the retail package. I've repeatedly complained about this to Microsoft. You can contact support via email as a trial user per the information below:

FAQ: Reaching Support

{edit} I forgot this part:

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link to this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3811106&SiteID=2. I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

{end of edit}

Now, to get to your other points.

Paying for a subscription, which as far as I can tell began the moment I attempted to install OneCare, which is not only useless in terms of "protecting" me during a term in which I have no access to the Internet as a result of OneCare, but is a double-edged sword: not only do I not have OneCare, but I don't even have what I had when I didn't have OneCare (i.e. Internet access to download a competing product).

You are fully protected by OneCare even if you have not activated as it is in trial mode upon reboot and before activation. You will activate the subscription using the retail key once the connectivity problem is resolved.

Assuming that you have no conflicting security products, do you have the option to connect the PC to your router via a wire temporarily to rule out a problem with the wireless connection - perhaps caused by the OneCare firewall not allowing DHCP to function properly to get the adapter to obtain an IP address from the router wirelessly?

Why should the trial version be easier to use than the version I've actually paid for?  Why should the trial version be an excuse for not properly supporting paying customers?  How can I return OneCare to the store that has a no-refunds-on-software policy, despite the fact (as evidenced by the existence of the trial version) that what Microsoft has sold me is not in fact a piece of software, but a subscription to a service.  Believe me, it wasn't in the "subscriptions" aisle at the store.

I don't have a retail box handy, but as far as I know, it states on the box that you are purchasing a 12 month license for up to 3 computers.

The trial version available via download is exactly the same as what you have installed from the retail box. Based on your experience at install, you'd face the same issue with the trial install.

Microsoft has a 30 day refund policy for packaged software purchased at retail:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp

If you choose to remove OneCare and go for a refund with the intention of using the trial first, do note that a reinstall of OneCare will only net you a 15 day period before you must activate a subscription since you have already installed on this PC. Yes, I know that sounds like slap #5, but apparently the intelligence to know *when* you installed OneCare is not there. It knows it was installed and dates only come into play once you subscribe or while the trial period is underway with the software installed. Whenever you reinstall OneCare for any reason, you get 15 days before you must activate.

-steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 2:27 PM
  • "First of all, I'm sorry to read that you encountered a problem with activation. See if the following helps to resolve it:

Unable to Connect to Internet to Complete Installation "

I saw this link before my original post.  There are so many problems with the information in this link/post, it's hard to know where to begin.  The ambiguously referenced, compatible OS, for instance.  For the record, I'm using XP pro on the desktop I'm attempting to install OneCare.  How do you propose I download the file suggested and install it on the computer in question?

"To me, that sounds like you may have other security software conflicting with OneCare can causing connectivity to be lost. Be sure to remove all other security software completely. The following post links to a KB article with other common installation troubleshooting:

Troubleshooting Installation Issues - KB Article "

There is close to nothing at all on the computer in question, and no other security software has been installed.  The only possible security software that I can imagine is the firewall which I believe might be inherent to the router.  I've never had any problems with it before, so I can't say whether that's the issue or not.  Come to think of it, though, there we do use the secure network WEP for our home network.  Other than the WEP code and the possibility of the router firewall, there's nothing else going on.  Like I said, the adapter and router, with the WEP code and whatever's going on with the router, were working 100% before I installed OneCare.

"Assuming that you have no conflicting security products, do you have the option to connect the PC to your router via a wire temporarily to rule out a problem with the wireless connection - perhaps caused by the OneCare firewall not allowing DHCP to function properly to get the adapter to obtain an IP address from the router wirelessly?"

If by "do you have the option" you mean, "Can you lug your desktop and components up two flights, displace the Mac workstation, put it offline while you attempt to resolve the issue with little understanding of how or whether doing this will resolve the issue, and if connecting to the router doesn't work, would you be willing to connect to the modem/Internet directly to attempt to resolve the issue," then my answer is, "If I have to, but wouldn't it just be easier to argue with the sales person for a refund?'

Hey, I just thought of Slap in the Face #6!  There's something wrong with anti-virus software that necessitates you being online, unprotected, for anytime at all, just to resolve an issue with anti-virus software installation.  On the system in question, I just re-installed XP because the computer sales person required me to go online, unprotected, to download a graphics driver in an attempt to resolve their mistake.  Now it seems like OneCare is asking me to do the same!  It's akin to saying, "Sure, you can have some body armour, but you're going to have to take your chances jumping through this guillotine to get it.  Oh, and there might not be any armour on the other side."  Ditto if your solution to my above question of, "How do I get this troubleshooting software" is to use a flash drive or some such.

I don't care if it's an engineering nightmare, all I care about is what it means to me as a consumer, with a finite amount of both time and money.  There's something logistically stupid about virus prevention software that is incapable of protecting large numbers of users for want of ease of use.  I don't care if it limits my Internet capabilities to next to nothing until it resolves its installation. I don't  care if I have to push a few buttons and read a few instructions to make that happen.  But if I'm deterred from using the product because, as is obvious, there is a gross lacking in terms of customer support, I know for a fact that there are millions of users who will be likewise prevented from using OneCare.

As a consumer, how can I justify investing in a niche product?  It makes more sense for me to follow the herd, to go with a more popular product like Norton or AVG, because if that's where the majority goes, that's where the money will be, and if that's where the money will be, that's where the product development, and customer support, will be.

"Microsoft has a 30 day refund policy for packaged software purchased at retail:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp"

I read "45 days" to return, but I'd still take my chances with the store holding the product first.  If the product is a pain to use, you have to make it a pain for the stores that stock it.  Like I said, it's a subscription I've paid for, not software.  If you make it a pain for the store to stock the product, they'll stop dealing with the product source. Also, if I demonstrate unequivocally that the product is misrepresented (i.e. subscription, not software), that the service is inconsistent with the contract at purchase (i.e. by reducing the rights of paying customers to that of trial users), and that the use (i.e. installation) of the product is beyond the scope of what can be reasonably expected of targeted customers, than the "sale" of OneCare is a much larger issue of one customer having installation difficulties: it's legal issue for Microsoft.  Do I have the resources to impose such as a threat?  Probably not.  Is the obviousness of the complications with use of the software a bigger issue for Microsoft?  Probably. I'd still like to resolve this issue in a manner that doesn't require another trip to the computer store. If you're reading this, Microsoft, I'm all ears and the ball's in your court.  Seems to me that you haven't thought the access-to-customer-support-for-paying-customers issue through.  What, it's too hard to engineer a piece of software that does nothing in terms of installing the OneCare product except allow the user to link to a paying-customer support line?  That seems highly doubtful.

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:46 PM
  • Unable to Connect to Internet to Complete Installation "

I saw this link before my original post.  There are so many problems with the information in this link/post, it's hard to know where to begin.  The ambiguously referenced, compatible OS, for instance.  For the record, I'm using XP pro on the desktop I'm attempting to install OneCare.  How do you propose I download the file suggested and install it on the computer in question?

Good point. I apparently need to revisit that FAQ post which is pretty old, though still valid. The process would assume that you can copy the file over to the PC. Most of the time, when people encounter the problem, they have not lost all Internet access, yet OneCare complains that it has no access - so, I probably should not have offered that as the first alternative.

If there is no other security software installed, it would appear that OneCare has blocked the ability of the connection back to the router to get the IP address and other information needed to set up the connection. I can't tell you why that would be.

As for lugging the desktop - no, that wouldn't be my first option in your shoes. Nor would I suggest connecting directly to the modem to work through this issue unless it was determined that the problem was with the router or adapter, which I don't think is the case.

I know you're dealing with a frustrating situation, but in normal cases, which would be the case for most users, installation requires the user to remove previous security and the assumption is that the Windows Firewall prevents inbound attack while the installation proceeds. Normally, the user would not also be browsing the Internet, clicking popups, downloading software or opening attachments to spam emails during this process.

I won't respond to the last part of the message since I've already emailed you and we are in agreement that the support phone number should be packaged in the retail box.

-steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 7:19 PM
  • One question I forgot, since you mention a fresh reinstall of XP Pro.... Did you visit Windows Update and take down all offered security updates before installing OneCare?

I can't promise how visible I'll be in the forum over the next few days - I'm signing off right now and will be off-line for a while. Over the weekend I'll be checking emails, but may not be back to the forum much, if at all.

-steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 7:21 PM
  • I feel your pain. 

I have had OneCare runnig on 2 home computers for a year.  I love(d) it.  Today, I am trying to migrate from Norton ( I HATE IT!) to OneCare on a PC runnig XT.  I am ready to storm Redmond!  Why MS cannot provide techincal support is beyond comprehension.  Good luck.  If you get it going, you will like it.  Until then . . . .

Saturday, August 30, 2008 4:03 AM
  • Hello Fred, if you previously had Norton installed and are having issues installing One Care, if you haven't already done so run the Norton uninstall tool - http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Saturday, August 30, 2008 4:36 AM
  • I jumped to conclusions about not connecting.  I assumed that because OneCare failed to finish installing, after rebooting, appearing to continue loading and even asking if this installation was at home/offe or in a public location.  THEN comes the the error message "OneCare encountered a problem and needs to close." 

I have no other security software running,(except whatever is working win Windows).

I have OneCare installed on two other computers at home (1-Vista desktop and 1 XP laptop).  They are working fine. I am trying to install it on a desktop running XP.

I tried runnig the Norton removal tool a second time.  It does not run.

I tried removing .NET Framework 3.0 (and fix) as well as .NET Framework 2.0 (and fix).  I get error messages that the path(s) is correpted.  As they were installed as MS updates (default) can you tell me the correct path info?

What do you suggest next?

(Handgrenade is not an option.  I just cleaned the office.)

Fred

Saturday, August 30, 2008 6:23 PM
  • Try the following if you've got a .Net Framework issue:

To repair .Net Framework 2.0 on XP:

Open Control Panel

Select Add or Remove Programs

Locate Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0

Select the entry and when the installer launches, select Repair.

Reboot when it completes.

Alternatively, see this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306160

To remove a corrupt .Net Framework install, use this tool:

http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

The download of .Net Framework 2.0 can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

To repair .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on Vista, see this blog entry:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

If the above does not resolve the problem with OneCare, please contact support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 4:55 PM