Re: Fix problems on computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have now intstalled live one care, paid for etc....  My problem is that is says that I have problems found and when I click FIX I get a blank screen and it does not fix the problems that it found.  What do I need to do to make it fix the problems it finds....
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 6:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• The database reset tool might solve the problem: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

If that fails, you can try uninstalling, running this clean-up tool, and then reinstalling OneCare:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

If that doesn’t work, you’ll need to contact OneCare Support for help: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

GreginMich

Monday, September 15, 2008 12:51 AM
  • Karianndunn,

Thank you for visiting the Live OneCare program forum. I understand that your scan found issues and then went blank when you tried to fix the issues.

I'd like to know w little more about your scenario. How long as Live OneCare been on your system? Do you have multiple antimalware programs on your computer? Have you had any security issues recently which prompted you to scan, if so, can you explain what happend please? I'd also like to know verbatim error or dialog messages you may have received...?

If you have resolved this problem, would you mind letting me know how you resolved it?

Thank you for contacting the Live OneCare program forum. You feedback is important to me.

Rick, MS

Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:07 AM
  • Rick, MS, there is some ambiguity here, and in interpreting this post I was clearly “going beyond the information given”, based on my review of quite a few similar cases. But I am fairly confident that this case is an example of a frequently reported issue where OneCare detects a problem (unrelated to a scan) and presents the user with a yellow “action to take” banner on the main page. The banner reads: “This PC has problems that are affecting its security or performance. Click “Fix” to fix them now”. The banner includes a “Fix” button, and when the user clicks on this button it opens up an empty html page, which is often referred to incorrectly as a “blank screen”. This “fix” button is attempting to load a local html page: “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\GTOneCare\HTML\GTAgent\html\index.htm”

If you follow this file path and attempt to open this page, you should be able to reproduce this empty page for yourself, along with the Internet Explorer advisory: “To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this webpage from running scripts or Activex controls that could access your computer. Click here for options…” It seems plausible that OneCare itself might need permission to access this page and also that the required permissions are reset with the database reset tool. In any event, I hope this background information points you in the right direction for any further research you’re inclined to do on this issue. Regards,

GreginMich

Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:43 PM