none
Mow do I control the default font size when I create a new topic RRS feed

• Question

• When I start a new topic, or reply to a topic, the default font size is too small. There does not sem to be any way to increase it then nor have I found any any way to change in my Settings.

I see some folks have a larger font size so it must be possible, but how?
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:52 AM

Answers

• For now, the font size is not enabled in the editor control, we've had issues in the past that had cause some rendering issues in the thread.

The work-around is to edit your post in HTML format (By clicking on the HTML button) then specify your font size . I.E. <font size = "x">xxxx</font> or <span style="font-size:medium">xxxxx</span>.
    Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Thanks David. I agree that the best way to format text is through the editor control. I've already brought this up with the team.
    Forums Test Lead
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:50 PM

All replies

• For now, the font size is not enabled in the editor control, we've had issues in the past that had cause some rendering issues in the thread.

The work-around is to edit your post in HTML format (By clicking on the HTML button) then specify your font size . I.E. <font size = "x">xxxx</font> or <span style="font-size:medium">xxxxx</span>.
    Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Okay, thanks Don. I'm familiar with html
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:01 AM

Forums Test Lead

Don:

In my opinion, this is absolutely the wrong answer to this question. Allowing and encouraging users to edit the HTML changes the appearance of the post for everybody. It is also a common cause of corruption in threads (due to badly formed HTML).

What we need is a setting for each user that will change the visible text size in the editor (and perhaps in the whole page) without changing the HTML.
    David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 10:43 AM
  • Thanks David. I agree that the best way to format text is through the editor control. I've already brought this up with the team.
    Forums Test Lead
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:50 PM
  • A lot of sites do this successfully via the use of what they call BB Code, usually, though not always, simply replacing < and > with [ and ]. Then it's a simple matter of translating that BB Codes into HTML when displaying the content of each post.

It's good to have a usable work around for now though.

What I miss more than that though is the ability to preview a post before submitting it. It is somewhat available via the HTML editor but even there it doesn't show you what the final result of the entire post will look like.
    Edit: In this post for instance, I used the HTML editor to make one line above bold, but there was no way for me to see what it would look like in context with the rest of the post. Editing the post I see it's actually using the pre tag to make the text slightly darker. Not what I would have chosen.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 5:35 PM