Legal & Validated - still WGA notification?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, I have a GENUINE Win-XP Pro on my notebook, and the same goes for my MS-Office. (My wallet still hurts, trust me...)

As I wanted to install some Windows Power Tools, I downloaded and installed the WGA validation tool a while ago. This procedure went without a problem. So my version is not only legit, it's validated too. Thus far everything went as expected.

Since a couple of days I get this nagging auto-update message (KB905474) telling me I have 'a message from WGA'. In the lower box it says one gets this message if ones version of windows is not legitimate.

WTF 'not legitimate'?! It is definitely very much legit, AND you validated it! (Twice)

I renewed the WGA validation tool today (right-click on the object), again w/o a problem. I rebooted the notebook after that, but still I get this same auto-update message!

Obviously I do NOT want to install just anything, only because it says something in a text balloon. More so since it seems to be way off the mark.

So, can anyone with authority on this subject please tell me:

a -  how to get rid of this pest

b - what may have caused it

c - what would happen in the - hypothetical - situation where someone were to actually download and 'install' (?) this 'message'? Would it defunct my legitimate Windows OS or anything else?

Many thanks in advance!

Sven

PS: I run Win-XP Pro with SP1 (updated everything except SP2) on an Acer TravelMate 800

PPS: I did read the FAQ on the WGA pages, but there's no answer there for this problem.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:15 PM

Answers

• S8,

I would venture to say that since SP2 has been released for 22 months now, any 3rd party software publisher who has not updated their program to work with SP2 has no plans to do so.

The best place to find out if a given software program is compatible with SP2 is at the support pages for that particular program.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:51 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, June 14, 2006 4:34 PM
  • Why would I want to do this? It announces itself on the auto-update pane...

Is this by chance a tool to receive messages, and not - as is indicated - a message regarding the (in)validity of my OS? If so the problem may be solved and I apologize for the confusion. However, if this is the case I urge MS most strongly to rename this update to "TOOL for WGA messages"  f.i., instead of "message from WGA" as it reads now. This is most confusing! Everyone who has read it assumes it is indeed a message stating the OS is invalid, as is indicated in the title and the description pane!

Please confirm wether this is indeed a message or a tool to receive messages.

If the latter is true, remains my question why I'd want to install such a tool, since my software is validated already.

Many thanks,

Sven

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:10 PM
  • Sven,

In order to diagnos the problem please run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread. This will allow us to understand why the valdiation code thinks your system is not genuine.

Sandy Weil
    WGA Program Manager, Microsoft

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:22 PM
  • Thanks Sandy,

As it seems the "message" is not a message, despite it's name "message from WGA" and the description "you  receive a  message from WGA  if your Windows version is not legitimate" (Dutch version, XP Pro). Apparently it is a tool to receive messages from WGA.

Hence my suggestion to change the title and description of this download, to avoid future confusion.

As I asked elsewhere on this forum, I would like to know why I would want to download this, as my Windows is validated already.  What’s my benefit?

Thus far I fail to see the reason for validated users to install this ‘update’ (other than reminding me I have yet to install SP2, which I am already aware of).  On this MS WGA page it says: "WGA Notifications reminds users who fail validation that they are not running genuine Windows and directs them to resources to learn more about the benefits of using genuine Windows software" So it mainly seems to be a ‘nag screen’ to ‘remind’ users wit illegitimate versions to buy a genuine version.  That’s not me.

NB: I have not installed SP2 because of numerous reports doing so may cause 3rd party software to stop running properly. If you can assure me all 3rd party software will work fine with SP2 I will install it.

Right now I feel a bit pushed to install stuff I might not want or need…

I’d be very grateful for any clarifying answers regarding the usefulness of this ‘notification’ tool,  as well as advice on the SP2 matter (I did read the SP2 pages, but there’s nothing there regarding the ample reports about issues with 3rd party software)

Many thanks for your assistance,

Sven

Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:34 AM
  • Genuine users without SP2 will be notified that they should update to Service Pack 2 for various reasons. Primarily because soon, Automatic Updates will stop updating Service Pack 1 users automatically. Many users do not know about this (same for XP RTM).

However, if you do not wish to be notified of this, and wish to keep using XP SP1, you can right click the system tray icon and click to disable notifications regarding SP1 notifications.

Please do not duplicate your posts, because this does not relate to WGA Validation, I must move it to Feedback/Comments section. I apologize for moving it, but I'm trying to detract from cluttering the WGA Validation issues forum section.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:34 AM
  • S8,

I would venture to say that since SP2 has been released for 22 months now, any 3rd party software publisher who has not updated their program to work with SP2 has no plans to do so.

The best place to find out if a given software program is compatible with SP2 is at the support pages for that particular program.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:51 AM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-C9CR2-8W7H4-X9V2J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ey+5goF2Enaw9xXQlH2zUb/DNMw=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-647-2797271-23609
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: FTY8T36
    ID: 36ad8ed3-b271-4b5c-8c27-2b46dc4ded11
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    Cache refresh Interval: 3594 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>36ad8ed3-b271-4b5c-8c27-2b46dc4ded11</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-X9V2J</PKey><PID>55274-647-2797271-23609</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1202660629-839522115-854245398</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>D850GB</Manufacturer><Model>GB85010A</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>GB85010A.86A.0058.P12.0104021715</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010402000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>479F34E70184C05A</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>B35AD3B2B8C06A</Val><Hash>u6NpVQWz+dF33D7XuZSILc/hdlc=</Hash><Pid>70141-053-0302871-56658</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, August 3, 2006 3:04 PM
  • Brettd68,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 7), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Some Good News!  Your installation of Office 2003 Standard is showing as Genuine!

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thursday, August 3, 2006 5:32 PM