Intergrating hard discs with data on. RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried a few searches with out much luck, and I am trying to investigate several situations, where you would want to move a hard drive on to a server without losing its present data.

Eample one: You have had a PC for a long time with mulitlple drives, your second drive contains stuff solely that should be on the server, so you want to remove it from your PC and put it in the server, without going throught the process of coppying everything accross the network.

Example two: you have a prototype home server with the evaluation software, but once the software becomes available to purchase (be it pure software or OEM system) you want to make (or buy) I dedicated machine, but you do not want to lose all the information already on your hard drives (which you simply intend to plug into the new machine)

Example three: your primary home server drive goes down, and you are paranoid of loosing data on the secondary HD's, so you unplug them all and only plug in the new drive that will become the primary to do the installation on, you then replug the hard drives in once the system is back up and running.

I hope these examples are clear enough of what I am investigation (both examples one and 2 are things I want to do but I am worried about doing for fear of losing data or having to spend hours or days of having to transfer 100's of GBs accross the network)

All thoughts appreciated.

Ross

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Add the disk drive you want to the server, then RD (remote desktop) to the WHS, and see if the server see it ok from the admin tool - disk managment.

Then copy the files to the whs drive d, either create a folder for that data or in the share.

After all done, you then have the option to add the hard disk to the pool of WHS if you like, connect to the whs console (or you can run the whs console directly on the server), then add the drive.

Please note: when you add the drive to the whs pool, all your data on it will be lost, as whs will format the drive.

Hope that explain the issue.

My best.
    Monday, August 13, 2007 1:32 PM
  • For your example 1, I would install the drive in the server, but not use the console to add the drive to the storage pool. Then I would use remote desktop to connect to the server, and copy the files from the drive to the shares in the pool. Finally, I would add the drive to the pool. This assumes that you have sufficient free space to copy the contents of the drive to the storage pool.

Your examples 2 and 3 are really the same, from a recovery standpoint. You have a WHS without a primary hard drive, and you want to put a primary hard drive in. I would leave all drives connected (replacing/adding the primary) and use the server reinstallation option in setup. This will preserve data in your storage pool but not server customizations like addins and users.
    Monday, August 13, 2007 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Add the disk drive you want to the server, then RD (remote desktop) to the WHS, and see if the server see it ok from the admin tool - disk managment.

Then copy the files to the whs drive d, either create a folder for that data or in the share.

After all done, you then have the option to add the hard disk to the pool of WHS if you like, connect to the whs console (or you can run the whs console directly on the server), then add the drive.

Please note: when you add the drive to the whs pool, all your data on it will be lost, as whs will format the drive.

Hope that explain the issue.

My best.
    Monday, August 13, 2007 1:32 PM
  • For your example 1, I would install the drive in the server, but not use the console to add the drive to the storage pool. Then I would use remote desktop to connect to the server, and copy the files from the drive to the shares in the pool. Finally, I would add the drive to the pool. This assumes that you have sufficient free space to copy the contents of the drive to the storage pool.

Your examples 2 and 3 are really the same, from a recovery standpoint. You have a WHS without a primary hard drive, and you want to put a primary hard drive in. I would leave all drives connected (replacing/adding the primary) and use the server reinstallation option in setup. This will preserve data in your storage pool but not server customizations like addins and users.
    Monday, August 13, 2007 5:59 PM
  •  

Thanks for your input, ita shame there is no automatic data intergration tool, would be particulaly usefull when you have hot swapable drives, and want to move information between house holds.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:54 AM