none
AutoRoute RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to Microsoft TechNet,

I have original DVD of AutoRoute 2007 with GPS locator. how can it be upgrade to 2011 version ?

Does Pharos Bluetooth Dock model PXT22 suitable to the Microsoft Pharos GPS-500 SiRF-III which comes with the software ?

Appriciate your reply.

• Moved by Pengyu Zhao Monday, May 14, 2012 9:24 AM Off-topic (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers)
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Ilan,

The only way to "upgrade" is to install a new version. The BT dock is designed to work with the GPS500, and any GPS unit which worked with your 2007 version will also work with the version 2011. You may find more information at http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/microsoft/

Laptop GPS World

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 11:39 AM
  • Hi Marvin

Should I buy 2011 version with GPS locator or just the version and used my old GPS500 ?  

Didn't understand if Pharos Bluetooth Dock model PXT22 suitable to the Microsoft Pharos GPS-500 SiRF-III which comes with the software, here the link to the equipment.

http://www.pharosgps.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=007_PXT22_1%2E00&cat=155

Appriciate your reply.

Friday, May 11, 2012 12:10 AM
  • If you are happy with the performance of your GPS500, then keep on using it. There is no need to spend money on buying AR w/GPS, if you have a functional GPS. Buy only new AR version. The old hardware unit will work with new software version, reference: http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/150-streets-trips-compatible-gps-receivers

The PXT22 will work with the GPS500 and with new AutoRoute. However, I have never been eager to recommend this Bluetooth dock. It has always been very expensive. For the same amount of money you can buy a brand new GPS receiver with Bluetooth connectivity.

Those BT docks may not even be available. Pharos is no longer the supplier of GPS hardware for Microsoft. MSFT switch to different hardware a few years ago, reference: http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/872-u-blox-gps-technology-power-new-microsoft-usb-gps-receiver

Laptop GPS World

Friday, May 11, 2012 10:41 AM
  • Hi Marvin

OK, I have seen that AutoRoute 2011 comes with the u-blox 5 GPS locator which sensitivity improved relate to GPS-500. 

Any Bluetooth version or Dock you can recommend for it or only using the extention cable,

Appriciate your reply.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:31 AM
  • Ilan, it all depends on your personal needs. Why are you looking for a solution different from what you currently have, which I believe is the USB GPS-500? What are you expecting to gain, or what is it that you see as the limitation of the GPS-500?

Laptop GPS World

Sunday, May 13, 2012 11:08 AM
  • Hi Marvin

With GPS-500 we express disengagements in areas of Germany and Italy.

So it will be better to have more sensitivity with u-blox 5.

Just asked if microsoft can offer wireless solution as well. 

Regards, Ilan

Sunday, May 13, 2012 3:00 PM
  • Ilan, if you desire better reception, I don't think you will achieve that by simply switching from GPS-500 to the new receiver based on the u-Blox chip. I think the difference between the two would be insignificant. Optimizing the placement of the antenna within your vehicle would achieve the biggest gain, provided the current location is sub-optimal.

The side of the unit which contains the Microsoft (or Pharos) logo should face the sky. If the unit is upside down the antenna will get weaker signal from the satellites.

Usually the best signal strength can be received with the unit placed in the center of the dashboard, close to the windshield. You may need a longer USB extension cable to reach the dashboard. Alternatively, the Pharos BT dock would help, but a USB extension is less expensive. (Btw, only Pharos made the BT docks for the GPS-500 unit. The new u-Blox units also have a similar BT dock available from its manufacturer.)

If you desire even more improved signal strength, consider buying a GPS receiver/antenna which could be placed on the roof of the vehicle. One such unit is a BU-353. It has a magnetic base designed to keep the unit on the metal roof of cars and trucks. The BU-353 is just being released to market with a new chip, which makes it even more sensitive. Read here for info about it: http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/2599-globalsat-bu-353-s4-usb-gps-receiver

Laptop GPS World

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:23 PM
  • OK Marvin - thanks

GPS-500 have no delays with setting the location updates consecutively.   

Is the GlobalSat BU353 S3 or S4 working smoothly on Autoroute 2011 maps as GPS-500 or u-blox 5,  

Regards, Ilan

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Yes, Ilan, in my experience, both, the old and the new version of BU-353, work the same or better than the GPS-500 or the u-Blox unit.

I've used all these receivers in conjunction with Microsoft Streets & Trips, which is the North American equivalent to your European Microsoft AutoRoute.

Laptop GPS World

Monday, May 14, 2012 4:17 PM