HP EX470 and Western Digital 1 Terabyte...No go! RRS feed

• Question

•  

So I got my HP EX470 in along with 2 Western Digital 1 Terabyte drves (WD10EACS). Got everything all set up, then installed the drives. They will not register. I get no errors or anything. The drives simply won't show up.

Any ideas?

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:49 PM

Answers

•  

Well believe it or not both drives were actually DOA. Picked up a third and iot works great.

Dodad...You said you installed four. Did you remove the system drive and do a restore and get rid of the 500 gig drive?

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:30 PM

All replies

• I put 4 1TB WD10EACS in mine as well.  All came up just fine.  I'm having other problems with large file copies that may or may not be related to the WD drives.

Are the lights on for the specific drives?  Drive 1 I assume to be blue.  What about the lights for 2 and 3?  What color are they?

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:06 PM
  •  

Well believe it or not both drives were actually DOA. Picked up a third and iot works great.

Dodad...You said you installed four. Did you remove the system drive and do a restore and get rid of the 500 gig drive?

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:30 PM
  • Yes, I removed the 500GB drive as well and performed a server restore.  The process went without a hitch.

But.... I have another home-built WHS that holds a bunch of Recorded TV from Media Center and I am in the process of moving these files to the HP.  After moving about 600GB worth of video files less than 5GB a piece I started moving some of the recorded movies that were larger than 8GB and am now having some problems with copies aborting and the server becoming unresponsive.   The actual message I got was a "Path too Deep".  There is another thread covering this.

Someone mentioned it may have something to do with NCQ and there may be something to that.  The HP sets the SATA drives up in there native mode (show as Internal SCSI) which I suspect makes use of NCQ.  Perhaps the WD drives do something different then the Seagates.

To test this, I have another Seagate 750GB 7200.10 drive that I just put into this server and performed a server recovery and data recovery on the files I had already transferred.  I am now copying the files that kept failing before.  It has moved about 60GB of the +8GB files so far but maybe it takes a while to have things go south.

Sorry for the long answer.

Update 11-27-07

The problems listed in this post are not related to the HP EX470 directly.  The problems with large file copies have something to do with load balancing so it appears not to be a hardware issue at all.

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:04 PM
  •  

I think i will give that a try.
    Monday, November 26, 2007 5:51 PM
  • These are the "Green power" drives, right? I'd be interested to see power specs if you have access to a "Kill-A-Watt" device to measure consumption.

Do you have a link to the NCQ topic? I'd be interested in reading more about that.

Thanks,

Alex

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:53 PM
  •  gstone wrote:

I think i will give that a try.

gstone, I told dodad about this in another thread, but be aware if you upgrade your system drive to a larger model and want to re-use the existing 500GB in your WHS box. More info here:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:54 PM
  •  yakuza wrote:

These are the "Green power" drives, right? I'd be interested to see power specs if you have access to a "Kill-A-Watt" device to measure consumption.

Do you have a link to the NCQ topic? I'd be interested in reading more about that.

Thanks,

Alex

Path Too Long

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1580396&SiteID=50

This is the one I'm following. 

Monday, November 26, 2007 8:25 PM