WHS Firewall and IP Range RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am using WHS since 2 months, so far everything great. Now I wanted to add 2 Notebooks (both Vista) but I cant connect them over Wifi.

I have a Z100G Router which gives different IP addresses to the connected Clients.

Example: Over hard wire the DHCP Range is 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.100

For Wifi I have 192.168.252.1-192.168.252.100

So I guess I cant connect to WHS since the local Firewall is blocking those IP addresses.

How can I add this range of IP to my WHS box?

BR

Daniel

Saturday, August 4, 2007 2:29 PM

Answers

• Short answer is that you can't. It's not a supported scenario; WHS expects to exist on the same subnet as it's client PCs, and vice versa. If you can configure the wireless side of your router act as an access point only, then you should be able to get the Vista PCs to connect to WHS.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 3:03 AM

All replies

• Short answer is that you can't. It's not a supported scenario; WHS expects to exist on the same subnet as it's client PCs, and vice versa. If you can configure the wireless side of your router act as an access point only, then you should be able to get the Vista PCs to connect to WHS.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 3:03 AM
  •  

Thanks for your Help

I spend the whole weekend to find a solution.

I have set-up a second Wifi Router and conected (Linksys WT series in Router mode) this one directly to my Z100G Router and the clients get the IP addresses this way the same like a wired connection. A workouround, but it does the job.

Daniel

Monday, August 6, 2007 3:16 AM
  • Yes, that would work. Your new router is really configured as an access point, which is a wireless switch. It would probably have been better (less expensive) to configure your broadband router that way, but what you did will certainly work.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 4:20 AM