Best Upgrade path MCSE 2000 to ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I received my MCSE  / MCP 2000 Certification and never updated it. With all the different certifications now available, I would like to know if I have to start from scratch to get current. I am a little confused as to MCITP and MCSE (which is now coming back?)

What would be the best way to get current on the 2012/13 Server Platform? I would also like to focus on Exchange Server more than anything else. 

What test do I need to take to get current? I have access to CBTnuggets and would like to start studying as as soon as possible. My goal is to be a shiny new 2014 MCSE (is it MCSE?) by December of this year.

Could you possibly help me sort this out? I'd really appreciate it.

@NGIE

Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:44 PM

Answers

• A long time ago you could take the upgrade exams to move your MCSE 2000 to MCSE 2003 and then your MCSE 2003 into MCITP 2008. But I'm afraid the exams have been retired, so you are "stuck" with your MCSE 2000. If you want one of the latest certifications, you will need to start from scratch.

You probably want to get one of the new MCSE certifications (which, by the way, now means "Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert", while the old MCSE was "Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer").

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcse-certification.aspx

Given your background, I believe that you would be interested in the "MCSE:Server Infrastructure". There is no "2014" in the MCSE. Instead of being tied to a specific version of the operating system, the new certifications expire and require you to recertify periodically.

Take a look at the following page, which lists the five exams that you will need to pass:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcse-server-infrastructure-certification.aspx

Note that five exams is less than the number of upgrade exams that you would need to take if it were still possible to take all the upgrades to move all the way from 2000 to 2012.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 9:29 AM