none
Windows 10 dev environment on hyper-v vm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am trying to install Windows 10 developer environment on virtual machine using Hyper-v quick create tool.  As the tool already offers the Windows 10 developer environment. 

My question is the environment only available for a limited period of time? The only relevant link I found is on this link: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines

which says that it's only available until 24th December 2018.  Does anyone knows if the hyper-v installation has the same license or is it free on virtual machines?

Thanks

• Moved by Baron Bi Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:58 AM
    Saturday, October 13, 2018 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

thanks for posting here.

This forum is about desktop application development issues. For your case which is more related to Windows installation, I suggest you post on this forum below.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Baron Bi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 15, 2018 1:58 AM
  • The Hyper-V itself is free for you to use (on systems where it is included) and won't expire. Only the Win10 evaluation expires. When it expires, they likely will provide a new one.

-- pa

• Edited by Pavel A Monday, October 15, 2018 10:12 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2018 10:11 AM
  • Thanks, will post in the right forum.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 10:15 AM
  • Thanks Pavel,  I know that hyper-v is free.  I was only asking about Windows 10 dev OS.  As you mentioned they likely will provide a new one, but there is no guarantee.  If they don't, then it only means I either loose all the work or buy the license, which neither sounds a good option to me.

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 10:19 AM
  • Then install Windows cross compilation stuff on Linux, with gcc compiler. That's even more free.

-- pa

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 7:13 PM
  • Or you can just take a VM Snapshot and continue working on that version.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:19 AM