How long should the first full bacup take? RRS feed

• Question

• At the rate my first full backup is running, it will end up taking about 26 hours.  I have two internal drives on a single PC (75gb & 250gb)  I have about 125gb spread between the two drives.  I'm backing up to a 250gb external drive on a USB connection.

Is this normal?  Is there some time-per-gig ratio?
    It seems to me that I could have copied the entire drives through the USB and been finished a long time ago.
    And what should I expect from the incrementals?

Thanks up front, guys!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:26 AM

Answers

• Subsequent backups should take much less time, but 26 hours still sounds quite excessive. You would not be copying all 125 Gb to the external drive since OneCare is only backing up data. How long has it been running so far and what makes you estimate the 26 hours?

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Well, that was a stab at why it might have taken so long. :-)

OneCare does take a little longer to backup since it first scans, then copies the files locally and compresses them into archive files, splitting large files, as well, and then copies these archive files to the destination location.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:50 AM

All replies

• Subsequent backups should take much less time, but 26 hours still sounds quite excessive. You would not be copying all 125 Gb to the external drive since OneCare is only backing up data. How long has it been running so far and what makes you estimate the 26 hours?

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply!
    It's been running for 23.5 hours so far and indicates 91% complete.  23.5 divided by .91 = 26 hours, rounding a bit.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:22 AM
  • That was a quick reply simply due to timing. :-) Has backup completed by now?

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Yes.  It took just under 25 hours.  My automated incremental backup ran overnight as well.  I do not immediately see the stats to tell me how long that took.  It was set to start @ 2am.  All I know is that it was done by 7am when I got up.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:26 PM
  • The incremental backups will take much less, fortunately. Is your USB port a 1.1 port by any chance?

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:40 PM
  • No.  It's a 2.0.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:15 AM
  • Well, that was a stab at why it might have taken so long. :-)

OneCare does take a little longer to backup since it first scans, then copies the files locally and compresses them into archive files, splitting large files, as well, and then copies these archive files to the destination location.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:50 AM