Excel 2007 custom add-in RRS feed

• Question

• Hi  I have loaded an add-in into an Excel 2007 template which appears in the Add-ins list and I can run by going into the Visual Basic window or by adding it to the Quick Access Toolbar.  I can add a button to the ribbon to access a macro but, in order to run the add-ins macro, I have to copy all the user forms and sub routines into the template.  This works fine except that if I then create a new workbook based on the template, when I save it, the message displays telling me that I have to save it as a macro enabled workbook in order to access the macro whereas, if it was just an add-in, the message wouldn't display and it would let me save is as a .xlsx.  What I want to do is display a button to access the macro in the Add-in in the same way as, for example, the Solver Add-in which appears on a button on the Data tab.

I have worked out that I can save a workbook with my ribbon customisation and the add-in as an add-in and then enable the add-in and this solves the problem of a message displaying everytime a workbook is created based on the template.

What would be even better is if I could call the original add-in via a command stored in the customxml file in my ribbon customisation to avoid the need to copy all the subroutines and user forms so that I can click my customised button to run the subroutines in the add-in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:47 PM