option value prefix? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I was creating a new global option value set and CRM prompted me with a message stating that the value I used for an item did not match the configured option value prefix of 10,000.

Basically, the option set is for Level and the values are 1-10.  It makes more sense to me to use a value of 1 for an option of 1. What type of numbering convention do you normally use for this?
    Monday, July 22, 2013 8:07 PM

Answers

• The prefix is related to the publisher of a solution, the value 10,000 belongs to the default solution.

If you use a publisher you can choose the prefix, is important if you export your solution in environments where other solutions are installed, to differentiate your optionset from other optionset.

You can use also values as 1,2,3 if you prefer, there are no fixed rules about the numbering of optionset values.

My blog: www.crmanswers.net

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:21 PM

All replies

• The prefix is related to the publisher of a solution, the value 10,000 belongs to the default solution.

If you use a publisher you can choose the prefix, is important if you export your solution in environments where other solutions are installed, to differentiate your optionset from other optionset.

You can use also values as 1,2,3 if you prefer, there are no fixed rules about the numbering of optionset values.

My blog: www.crmanswers.net

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:21 PM
  • "If you use a publisher you can choose the prefix, is important if you export your solution in environments where other solutions are installed, to differentiate your optionset from other optionset."

Hi Guido, if the benefit of the option set prefix is to differentiate a solution optionset from optionsets in other solutions in the same environment and every solution is using the same default option set prefix then I don't see how an option set prefix would help with differentiation.  Also, it seems like the domains of different solutions should be well defined and isolated without any ambiguity about which objects belong to which solution. Why would this issue exist with option sets between solutions?

Friday, May 23, 2014 6:41 PM
  • "If you use a publisher you can choose the prefix, is important if you export your solution in environments where other solutions are installed, to differentiate your optionset from other optionset."

Hi Guido, if the benefit of the option set prefix is to differentiate a solution optionset from optionsets in other solutions in the same environment and every solution is using the same default option set prefix then I don't see how an option set prefix would help with differentiation.  Also, it seems like the domains of different solutions should be well defined and isolated without any ambiguity about which objects belong to which solution. Why would this issue exist with option sets between solutions?

Hi there,

The default solution's option set prefix is 10,000. The default publisher is also set to 10,000 (it can be altered). So in most instances, a new solution would have a new publisher, ideally. This would have a option set prefix that is auto generated e.g. 89,930 etc..

The option set values that are generated when creating a new field of type Option Set, is a product of the default solution's 10,000 and whatever publisher (by virtue its prefix value) you are using in conjunction.

e.g.

• if you use the default publisher in the default solution (considering you haven't changed the publisher's prefix value) the values in the option set will start at 100,000,000

• if you use the new publisher with option set prefix = '89,930', the new option set item's value will start from the product of the default (10,000) x (this prefix value) i.e. 899,300,000

The reason this is done is the way the application behaviour is set out. The system solution is the base layer, followed by managed solutions. The last imported managed solution's components will take precedence over the ones before it, if they reference the same components. Then any unmanaged solutions, system customisations will take precedence to show the final outcome that the user will be presented with.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:53 PM