none
Latest Windows Update causing all amended files synced to OneDrive to appear as NEW, so fails to copy. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, has anyone else experienced this since the latest system update (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4093112/windows-10-update-kb4093112)? 

Symptom: when running SyncToy, in Echo mode, an amended file is identified as NEW by SyncToy, and fails to copy and overwrite the existing instance on OneDrive, with the error, "Cannot create a file when that file already exists."  Exception from HRESULT 0x800700B7.  The only way to resolve this is to delete the target file on OneDrive and rerun, but this is not a fix as that same file, on further amendment, fails to copy again.

SyncToy does not have this same problem syncing to other destinations (Google Drive, networked disks).

SyncToy has worked for me for years syncing with OneDrive. The only change I can identify is the Windows update.

Please help if you have more information, or better still have solved this.

Friday, April 13, 2018 9:17 PM

All replies

• Just last night, started deleting all files in sub folders on the right. Set up a new pair, but it will not synch any folders. I’ll stop beating my head against the wall and see if anyone comes up with any solutions. Meanwhile, I’ll just manually copy folders for backup.
    Saturday, April 14, 2018 1:28 PM
  • Yes, I have the exact same problem having used SyncToy for years to back up to OneDrive. Sadly, I don't have a fix!

• Edited by Mr. Slow Tuesday, April 17, 2018 1:12 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 12:45 PM
  • I have the exact same issue and have not discovered any way around the issue either. Hopefully MS will solve it or suggest a work around. In the meantime manually copying is the only way to update the offending files.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 1:24 PM
  • Having the same issue.......hopefully MS resolves this issue. 

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 11:04 AM
  • Good News!!

I had this as well, but after the upgrade to version 1803, SyncToy works as it should! No config changes needed.

OneDrive now updated with 241 changes.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 2:17 PM
  • Yes, it would seem the Version 1803 update to Windows 10 has fixed the issue for me, too.
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 1:35 PM
  • Good News!!

I had this as well, but after the upgrade to version 1803, SyncToy works as it should! No config changes needed.

OneDrive now updated with 241 changes.

Thank you, that's good news.  I await the update to 1803.
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:04 PM
  • Confirmed 1803 system update resolves the issue.  Whew!
    Sunday, May 13, 2018 11:20 AM
  • Damn, just upgraded to 1803 and the problem is still there.

At the top directory level, changed files work OK, but any files in sub-folders still have the same error "Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

• Edited by Jackals Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:30 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:19 PM
  • I have also got problems with Latest Windows Update
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 8:17 AM