WHS drive failing, can't remove from pool RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have 3 1.5 TB drives installed in  my WHS (SP2), and recently I got a notice that one was failing... There wasn't much on the drive (about 15 gb) so I had plenty of free space in my other 2 drives.

This happened about a month ago while I was away on a work trip, so I just shut the server down until I got back home.

About a week ago I go to remove the failing drive  and I recieve a dialog box that tells me I don't have enough space to remove the drive (I have at least 1 tb free). So I ordered a new 2 Tb drive, add it to the pool and try to remove the failing drive again, but I still get the message that I don't have enough space. This makes no sense to me!!

A couple of items to note: I have since removed all data (that was on the healthy drives) so at the moment the only data on the server is the 15 gb on the failing drive. I didn't have duplication turned on for this particular folder.

When I go into the Storage manager, the bar on the right keeps scrolling and the storage size never populates.  I also keep getting the error "an unexpected error has occured in the WHS storage manager", this error only shows up when I am in the storage manager tab.

I can see the files from my other PCs and on the server itself, but I cannot copy anything in the folder off.

I wonder if it would do any good to pull the drive out and connect it to another PC?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:00 AM

All replies

• No suggestions?
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Your failing drive can't move the data because it's failing. =)

I would just pull the drive. If you need to get the data off that drive you can attempt a recovery in another machine.

If the drive was functioning normally and it couldn't be removed from the server, then you'd have a problem.

My system specs (built from extra parts): Pentium D805, 4GB DDR2-800, Abit AB9 Pro, 74GB Raptor (sys drive), 2x 1TB (storage drives), Antec 550 Earthwatt PSU, Antec P182 ATX case.
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 6:10 AM
  • Yeah, I was just hoping since I can see all the files from the network, that I had a chance... When I select the files and try to copy them off the server it says the device is not attached.
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 10:22 PM