Hardware Load Balancing Edge Servers RRS feed

• Question

• When you are going to be using Hardware Load Balancing with Edge Servers, can you use Standard Edition Edge Servers unlike the Front-End Pool where you need Enterprise Edition?  I know with Directors, you can use an array of Standard Edition Servers, but what about Edge Servers?
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 2:44 PM

All replies

• You can use any expanded configuration of Edge Servers with either a single Standalone or load balanced Enterprise Front-End servers.

Saturday, June 7, 2008 3:22 PM
  • Let me rephrase my question since I think you misunderstood my question.

I'm talking about load balancing Edge Servers, not load balancing Front End Servers.  Can you load balance Edge Servers using the Standard version of Office Communciations Server or do you have to use the Enterprise Edition of OCS. In my original post, I only merely stated that I already know you have to use the Enterprise Edition of OCS when load balancing Front Ends.
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 4:25 PM
  • I understood your original question. To reiterate: you can use load balanced Edge servers with either a load balanced Front-End pool or a single Standalone Front-End server.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 1:33 AM
  •  Jeff Schertz wrote:
    I understood your original question. To reiterate: you can use load balanced Edge servers with either a load balanced Front-End pool or a single Standalone Front-End server.

Ok, you're not getting the question.  know you can use either a standalone or a load balanced Front End Farm.  I don't care about the Front End Servers at all.  I'm not asking about Front End Servers at all.  Forget about Front End Servers.

I'm asking about the version of OCS that will be installed on the Edge Servers.  Do I need Enterprise Edition on my Edge Servers since I'll be load balancing my Edge Servers or can I use Standard Edition on my Edge Servers.  So, after I finish my FE deployment, and I go to insert the CD on my Edge Servers which will be load balanced, do I insert the Enterprise CD or Standard CD on my 2 Soon-To-Be Load Balanced Edge Servers.
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 4:31 AM
  • No need to be rude.  You need the Enterprise Edition software and licenseing to do any clustering. It's in the documentation and on Microsoft's website in multiple places.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX102405731033.aspx?ofcresset=1

Sunday, June 8, 2008 11:56 AM
  • I apologize if I appeared to be rude.  I was only trying to put emphasis on what I was saying.  Thanks for your help.  I always thought you could use Standard Edition since you don't need to connect to a Back-End.  I know when you're using Directors in a Load Balanced fashion, Microsoft has stated you could use Standard.  I would have thought it would be the same with Edge Servers.

Thanks for your continued help.
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 1:26 PM
  • To take this one step further, Is this possible?  I know what the documentation says, but we're working on this setup, and have it partly completed.

1.  One FE standard edition in each of two sites

2.  One Edge Server in each of two sites, standard

3.  Two ISA servers, one in each site, publishing external FQDN and Web Conferencing

4.  PIC is enabled on Site 1, as well as SRV record pointing here.

I can physically connect to site 2 edge server and log in, manually setting the servername.  All functions work there, as long as the Edge server knows about the other pool as a next hop.  Edge server 2 re-routes me to my home pool in Site 1. 

Why can't we take the existing srv record, load balance each of the external interfaces, provided we use the same cert, and ensure that we've got a fault tolerant setup in the event of a disaster. 

Is there any reason that this can't work?

Also, can a load balanced Director exist between a server in each of two sites, further allowing this to happen?

Thanks for your input here.  I really can't find a reason that this won't work, but maybe someone else can.

Monday, June 9, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Yes...you can use Standard edition for your Edge Servers.  They are not "pool" based, which is the main reason for OCS Front-ends to be the Enterprise Edition.

If you use a 3rd party load balancer, that will work fine.  Not sure about NLB...but I suppose that would work fine as well.

They have nice examples in the OCS_EdgeServerDeply.doc on how to implement.   (They even say "Enterprise Edition Servers" in their documentation for the Pools to be more specific)

Cheers.

- Steve

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:46 PM