none
7B error during recovery from external DVD drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've read a lot of the 7B errors on this forum and still can't find an answer to my problem. A lot of the posts relating to 7B seem to be about missing drivers when installing WHS. They talk about pressing F6 to install updated drivers. However, the problem I have is that I receive the blue screen 7B error when using the Recovery Disc ( RC version) on a Lenovo X61 Tablet. Another post mentioned that this was related to using the Recovery Disc through an external USB DVD player (the tablet has no internal DVD drive). I can confirm that this is indeed the case. I've tested my recovery DVD on another Lenovo laptop with an internal drive and it worked fine. (So its not a faulty burn issue)

My 7B error happens a few seconds after the "Microsoft Windows" scrolling bar appears. I have tried F6 but nothing happens.

Does anyone know if this bug got fixed in the RTM version? I am testing the RC1 version. I can't imagine a product being released where all laptop users with no internal DVD drive can't restore their coomputers.

Has anyone else been able to successfully use a Recovery Disc from an external DVD drive? If so which one? I was using the Xbox 360 external HD-DVD player, which I have successfuly used to install Windows Vista and Windows XP.

As much as I love this product, I will not be able to buy this if I can't recover my tablet in case of a crash.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, September 7, 2007 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you see if this Topic help the issue.

My best.
    Friday, September 7, 2007 6:42 PM
  • Thanks for the post but this did not work also. I keep getting 7b error.

Saturday, September 8, 2007 3:13 AM
  •  

I think I narrowed it down to the fact that the SATA controller drivers included in WHS Restore Cd are out of date for my laptop controller. I have tried switching the BIOS setting from SATA Controller Mode=AHCI to =Compatability mode but that didn't help.

How do I update the drivers on the Restore CD (or bootable USB)? Do I simply copy the files to the appropriate windows/system32/* directories?

Note that the bsod happens way before I can load drivers from an additional usb thumbdrive. I need to put these drivers in the original \Windows\system32\ structure.

Sunday, September 9, 2007 11:30 PM
  •  

Has anyone tried placing their SATA controller drivers on a thumb drive?

1. Take a thumb drive
    2. Create a folder called Drivers
    3. Place the controller drivers there

WinPE pulls drivers from a folder called Drivers on USB thumb drives.  See if that helps. 

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:17 PM
  • I will continue posting on this issue in the other thread as that seems to be getting more attention.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1499992&SiteID=50

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:46 PM