Can WHS 2011 be used as an offiste backup? RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to build an offsite backup for my office.  Would WHS 2011 be able to act as an offsite backup?
    Monday, February 6, 2012 2:11 PM

Answers

• Yes. You can set up a VPN with your clients and WHS ultimately in two separate locations

and perform your backups in that manner.

Setup should be done on the same loacal network with at least the 1st initial

backup done locally. After that WHS 2011 will do what it does best and the

backups via VPN is only limited by your network speed.

• Proposed as answer by Garry Joerger Monday, February 6, 2012 2:15 PM
    • Edited by Garry Joerger Monday, February 6, 2012 2:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by YZFROne Monday, February 6, 2012 4:00 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 2:15 PM
  • While you can do what Garry suggests, you will find that you can't restore your clients over a WAN link. My recommendation would be to use Windows Home Server for onsite backup, and server backup to external drives for offsite.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 6, 2012 2:56 PM

All replies

• Yes. You can set up a VPN with your clients and WHS ultimately in two separate locations

and perform your backups in that manner.

Setup should be done on the same loacal network with at least the 1st initial

backup done locally. After that WHS 2011 will do what it does best and the

backups via VPN is only limited by your network speed.

• Proposed as answer by Garry Joerger Monday, February 6, 2012 2:15 PM
    • Edited by Garry Joerger Monday, February 6, 2012 2:22 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 2:15 PM
  • While you can do what Garry suggests, you will find that you can't restore your clients over a WAN link. My recommendation would be to use Windows Home Server for onsite backup, and server backup to external drives for offsite.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Thanks for the quick replies.  I am running Windows Server 2008 at the office currently and I wanted to have offsite backup.  I have the pieces to build a decent server for the house.  What I was thinknig is to use WHS 2011 as the offsite backup location. If I had to, I could bring the server/hard drive to the office to restore if I had to.  This would be the offsite backup for one location.

Any suggestions on how to setup the VPN or what software to use?

Thanks,

Regan

Monday, February 6, 2012 3:23 PM
  • You won't be able to back up your Windows Server 2008 server to Windows Home Server; the client component won't install. For the server, use server backup (built in to the OS; this is the engine behind Windows Home Server's server backup feature) to back up regularly to an external drive which you take off site. For clients in the office, I would set up a Windows Home Server for that function only (you already have another server which presumably supplies file sharing capabilities, and in an office environment I don't see much need for the media handling or remote access capabilities of Windows Home Server), then back that server up using server backup as well.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 4:13 PM
  • You can use the MS VPN internally. I prefer using Hamachi2. It is free for non-commercial use.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 5:49 PM