Disabling Owner field RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with a CRM 3.0 environment.

Setting the Owner field on Account to "Disabled" seems to work in test mode. The field and lookup button is grayed out. But when I open an existing account (or create a new one), the Owner field is not read only any more.

Is this a bug? By design? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Adrian

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Adrian - I concur - this seems to be consistent with behaviour in my environment too.

Your only options seem to be:

• javascript in the form onLoad event
    • revoke Assign permission
    • examine business need to determine if disabling owner field is really necessary (does it make any difference since users will be able to Assign anyway?)

Let us know if you find any other approach Smile

Regards

Greg Owens

My Blog: The CRM Grid

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:24 AM

All replies

• I'm can't immediately account for the inconsistency between test and "live" usage, but regardless of this, could you not simply revoke "Assign" permissions on the Account entity - since this should prevent the Owner from being amended?

(If it works in your dev environment and not in your live environment, it may be because that customisation is not even getting exported - you could try exporting just the account entity and skimming through the exported xml to see if the owner field is being marked as disabled)

regards

Greg Owens

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Sorry, by "test mode", I meant "Preview Create/Update Form".

Revoking assign permissions would be a solution, if that was what we were trying to achieve. The entities should still be assignable (using the menu), but not by using the lookup field on the form.

It would be great if someone could verify that this isn't working in their environment either. I personally think the Owner-field cannot be set to Disabled, without using custom code (which isn't an accepted solution here) or by revoking the assign permission.

Thanks,

Adrian

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:13 AM
  • Hi Adrian - I concur - this seems to be consistent with behaviour in my environment too.

Your only options seem to be:

• javascript in the form onLoad event
    • revoke Assign permission
    • examine business need to determine if disabling owner field is really necessary (does it make any difference since users will be able to Assign anyway?)

Let us know if you find any other approach Smile

Regards

Greg Owens

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:24 AM