Connector software completes backup but i am not able to connect? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have just recently moved to windows 7 and love it. but my problem is this. After installing the windows connector software and registering with the WHS which completes succesfully, i get the green light in my tray. but when i try to connect it comes back saying that the server cannot connect, i have tried reinstalling restarting and resetting. nothing seems to work. im really confused as to why the backups work but the connector says it can not. so for now i am using RDP to get into the server.

I have searched the forums for a couple hours and have found nothing that has helped so far, i really dont want to install the server all over again :(

thanks
    -chris
    Friday, November 6, 2009 11:55 PM

Answers

• I figured it out, the tip was your question about being able to ping by name, i added the line to my hosts file and it works fine now. thanks for the help.

• Marked as answer by chris schwemin Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:49 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hello, I have just recently moved to windows 7 and love it. but my problem is this. After installing the windows connector software and registering with the WHS which completes succesfully, i get the green light in my tray. but when i try to connect it comes back saying that the server cannot connect, i have tried reinstalling restarting and resetting. nothing seems to work. im really confused as to why the backups work but the connector says it can not. so for now i am using RDP to get into the server.

I have searched the forums for a couple hours and have found nothing that has helped so far, i really dont want to install the server all over again :(

thanks
    -chris

Have you tried rebooting both client and server?  Are you able to open the shares on the server?  Are you able to successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, i have rebooted both computers and the server, all of the shares are browseable and i can ping the server by ip, as for the name do you mean my internal network name or the name like mystuff.homeserver.com .

Also i have taken all of the updates and now when it tells me there is an update for the connector software it fails. i also tried using the http://myserver:55000 and that also fails.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:25 PM
  • I figured it out, the tip was your question about being able to ping by name, i added the line to my hosts file and it works fine now. thanks for the help.

• Marked as answer by chris schwemin Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:49 PM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:33 PM