locked
Authentitcation failed through CRM impersonator RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I am working on CRM add-on. I have used CRM impersonator class for authentication of CRM service. It worked fine on our local test environments (IFD and on premises on both). Now i have deployed the solution on one the client's server and suddenly CRM impersonator stopped working. My controls work fine if i use default credentials for authentication instead of CRM impersonator. What could be the reason for this behaviour of CRM impersonator? As i know CRM impersonator uses 'System' user for operations. Can System user be disabled or any other reason?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Farhan

    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:47 PM

Answers

  • Hi Farhan,

    look at the SQL Server Configuration Manager -> SQL Server Network Configuration -> Make sure that 'Shared Memory' and 'Named Pipes' are enabled
    • Proposed as answer by ckeller Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Farhan A. Siddiqi Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:27 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    have you deployed your website in the Dynamics CRM website (ISV-folder)? Which error do you get?

    Please see http://haditeo.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/open-thread-token-failed-error-message/ or http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crmdevelopment/thread/dc46df75-d5ba-49a3-ab27-bd5e2ee4eba2 for possible problems with the CrmImpersonator
    Monday, August 31, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Hi,

    Yes, my website is deployed under Microsoft CRM website in ISV folder. The exception i got is given below:-

    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

    Thanks

    Farhan
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:44 AM
  • Hi Farhan,

    this error is not related to the use of the CrmImpersonator. Is the crm itself actualy working? Do you access the database in your website?

    Please make sure that the SQL-Server is up, running and not blocked by any firewalls.
    • Proposed as answer by ckeller Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:35 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 6:32 AM
  • To use impersonation, the user account under which the impersonation code is to run must be added to the PrivUserGroup in Microsoft Active Directory. This group is created by Microsoft CRM during installation and setup. This user account need not be associated with a licensed Microsoft CRM user. However, the user that is being impersonated must be a licensed Microsoft CRM user.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Thanks for the replies.

    I am able to produce this error on local test environment. This issue is caused due to the configuration of SQL Server. If anybidy know about the default settings of SQL server configuration manager, please post here as i have changed it on my server and now facing problem to restore it back.

    Thanks

    Farhan

    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:22 AM
  • Hi Farhan,

    look at the SQL Server Configuration Manager -> SQL Server Network Configuration -> Make sure that 'Shared Memory' and 'Named Pipes' are enabled
    • Proposed as answer by ckeller Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Farhan A. Siddiqi Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:27 AM
  • Thanks alot
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:29 AM