Error restoring PC from backup..please help. RRS feed

• Question

• First of all its not just this error.  Its all something that I believe is network related but I can't figure what.

I have 4 PC's in my house I have connected via the WHS Connector software.  They seem to run the backups okay,
    I can right click on the green icon in the system tray and bring up the shares, but on 3 of the computers,
    when I click on the green icon and choose Windows Home Server Console, I get a message saying
    I cannot connect to the server check to see if its online. The 4th computer (my desktop) had the
    same problem but I uninstalled and re-installed the connector software a few times (it would crash after
    each install) and reset the router and it finally would work.  That was the only PC I could get the Windows
    Home Server Console to work on.  I could RDP into the WHS from all 4 computers and bring up shares
    and the like. 

Okay.  So..a couple of months ago I got a 0x000024 BSOD on my desktop computer. I researched it
    and found out it deals with an NTFS corruption (I am assuming like a FAT Table error) issue.
    Chkdsk /r was the popular fix but that did not work.  So, I had to restore from an Acronis image.
    I low leveled formatted the hard drive first to hope it would permananely solve the BSOD issue.

The Windows Home Server Console has been backing up the only 2 PC's I configured to backup
    (my desktop and my wife's) for the last week and it shows all backups have been successful to date.
    This morning I had that same 0x0000024 BSOD on my desktop PC.  Maybe its a bad hard drive.
    I dunno.  But, I wasn't worried..I have the WHS with the bckups running so I am good to go...right?

Nope!  I have a wireless router but I ran a 25 foot (brand new) ethernet cable from my desktop
    to the router and I had link activity lights so I put in the WHS PC Retore CD and booted from
    it on my desktop.  It came up and I had copied the drivers folder it created on my F:\ drive
    of the same PC onto a memeory key and it asked me to install the key so it could install all the drivers.
    It correctly identified my wired NIC and all looked good.  It came to a screen that said something
    like "Searching for your WHS".  That took about 20 seconds and then it came back and
    said "Enter the password for your WHS"  I put the password in and clicked NEXT and after about
    another 20 seconds I got a box that said "An unknown network error has occurred during the PC Restore".
    I clicked on BACK and was taken back to the pasword screen.  I noticed a button that said "Password Hint".
    I figured if it could reach the server to pull off the hint then there must be a connection.  Well, it brought
    back the correct password hint so being stubborn I put in the password again and clickd next and
    again got "An unknown network error has occurred".

So, I am back to my 2 month old Acronis restore on my desktop PC.  Who wants to take bets the
    Connctor softare will have the same issue running Windows Home Server Console when I install it this time?

I'm really at my wits end with this. 

If anyone has any ideas I can try to get the backups to restore or the Consoles to connect please let me know.

Oh..I have a simple hub.  I am thinking of trying the restore with that instead of the router but I have to see
    if the WHS Restore setup will allow me to manually set the IP address of the NIC.

Thanx!

WHS OEM
    Dell Optiplex GX-270
    2.8GHZ 2GB Ram
    360GB Sata Internal/500 GB Sata USB
    Belkin Wirless N Router
    A+/Network+/Server+/MCSA: 2003

Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:58 PM

Answers

• WAN > DNS

If your ISP provided you with a specific DNS address to use,
    enter the address in this window and click "Apply Changes" .

Automatic from ISP

This setting is set to automatic.  Maybe if I set it manually to their DNS?
    Automatic should be the correct setting but I suppose it's worth a try.

When you set a PC to a manual IP address, what do you enter for the DNS server address? Still as shown in your earlier post:
    My Settings (static)

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Tenda W54U Wireless USB Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-B0-8C-04-6A-74
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.65
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

The above settings pass DNS lookup requests to the router. It's curious that the router knows not to pass these along to the ISP's DNS server in this configuration but does pass them on when you use DHCP. Both manual and DHCP should handle DNS lookups the same, I would think.

If you can still borrow that router from work, I'd try that.
    • Marked as answer by Orlandotek Monday, September 14, 2009 2:38 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:47 AM

All replies

• First of all its not just this error.  Its all something that I believe is network related but I can't figure what.

I have 4 PC's in my house I have connected via the WHS Connector software.  They seem to run the backups okay,
    I can right click on the green icon in the system tray and bring up the shares, but on 3 of the computers,
    when I click on the green icon and choose Windows Home Server Console, I get a message saying
    I cannot connect to the server check to see if its online. The 4th computer (my desktop) had the
    same problem but I uninstalled and re-installed the connector software a few times (it would crash after
    each install) and reset the router and it finally would work.  That was the only PC I could get the Windows
    Home Server Console to work on.  I could RDP into the WHS from all 4 computers and bring up shares
    and the like. 

Okay.  So..a couple of months ago I got a 0x000024 BSOD on my desktop computer. I researched it
    and found out it deals with an NTFS corruption (I am assuming like a FAT Table error) issue.
    Chkdsk /r was the popular fix but that did not work.  So, I had to restore from an Acronis image.
    I low leveled formatted the hard drive first to hope it would permananely solve the BSOD issue.

The Windows Home Server Console has been backing up the only 2 PC's I configured to backup
    (my desktop and my wife's) for the last week and it shows all backups have been successful to date.
    This morning I had that same 0x0000024 BSOD on my desktop PC.  Maybe its a bad hard drive.
    I dunno.  But, I wasn't worried..I have the WHS with the bckups running so I am good to go...right?

Nope!  I have a wireless router but I ran a 25 foot (brand new) ethernet cable from my desktop
    to the router and I had link activity lights so I put in the WHS PC Retore CD and booted from
    it on my desktop.  It came up and I had copied the drivers folder it created on my F:\ drive
    of the same PC onto a memeory key and it asked me to install the key so it could install all the drivers.
    It correctly identified my wired NIC and all looked good.  It came to a screen that said something
    like "Searching for your WHS".  That took about 20 seconds and then it came back and
    said "Enter the password for your WHS"  I put the password in and clicked NEXT and after about
    another 20 seconds I got a box that said "An unknown network error has occurred during the PC Restore".
    I clicked on BACK and was taken back to the pasword screen.  I noticed a button that said "Password Hint".
    I figured if it could reach the server to pull off the hint then there must be a connection.  Well, it brought
    back the correct password hint so being stubborn I put in the password again and clickd next and
    again got "An unknown network error has occurred".

So, I am back to my 2 month old Acronis restore on my desktop PC.  Who wants to take bets the
    Connctor softare will have the same issue running Windows Home Server Console when I install it this time?

I'm really at my wits end with this. 

If anyone has any ideas I can try to get the backups to restore or the Consoles to connect please let me know.

Oh..I have a simple hub.  I am thinking of trying the restore with that instead of the router but I have to see
    if the WHS Restore setup will allow me to manually set the IP address of the NIC.

No, it doesn't.

Thanx!

WHS OEM
    Dell Optiplex GX-270
    2.8GHZ 2GB Ram
    360GB Sata Internal/500 GB Sata USB
    Belkin Wirless N Router
    A+/Network+/Server+/MCSA: 2003

Are you trying to restore a 64-bit OS?  If so, you probably need a 32-bit version of your NIC driver for your OS.  Also, is your client NIC made by Realtek?  If so, you might need to update the NIC driver.  See the FAQ post:  How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore for details.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:07 PM
  • No, its XP Pro 32 Bit.

I have had an epiphany since the last post.

I tried to think what was different about my computer than the rest of the computers in the house...(besides the WHS Box)..

And then it hit me....mine is the only one with a static IP address.  The rest have an address from my router (DHCP)..

So, I set forth to set the rest of the computers on a static IP and one by one the WHS Console worked on each computer.

I looked at the ipconfig of one of the computers before I changed it and then after and besides for the IP address itself...I can't find anything wrong.

For the record..I have been having issues with my router losing port forwarding..it would forward then it wouldn't then it would..
    I finally resolved it by disabling the UNPNP setting..but I cannot
    honestly understand how that would affect the router not forwarding (opening) ports listed in the routers configuration page.

I bet if I could have set the IP address manually for the Restore CD...it would have worked.  So..until I can solve the router problem
    I am stuck not being able to do restores...great.

Microsoft understands not everyone uses DHCP...right?

I will go ahead and post the Ipconfig of one of the PC's with the dynamic IP and then of my PC with a static IP.

Just so you know..I shortened the available IP addresses for the DHCP server on the router...it issues 192.168.2.2 through 192.168.2.10
    (the list of DHCP leases only showed through 192.168.2.7 that was ever issued).

DHCP system --

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Belkin
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-4D-DE-31-C3
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:00:56 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 11:14:07 PM

My Settings (static)

Thanx again for your help....

Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:09 AM
  • No, its XP Pro 32 Bit.

I have had an epiphany since the last post.

I tried to think what was different about my computer than the rest of the computers in the house...(besides the WHS Box)..

And then it hit me....mine is the only one with a static IP address.  The rest have an address from my router (DHCP)..

So, I set forth to set the rest of the computers on a static IP and one by one the WHS Console worked on each computer.

I looked at the ipconfig of one of the computers before I changed it and then after and besides for the IP address itself...I can't find anything wrong.

For the record..I have been having issues with my router losing port forwarding..it would forward then it wouldn't then it would..
    I finally resolved it by disabling the UNPNP setting..but I cannot
    honestly understand how that would affect the router not forwarding (opening) ports listed in the routers configuration page.

I bet if I could have set the IP address manually for the Restore CD...it would have worked.  So..until I can solve the router problem
    I am stuck not being able to do restores...great.

Microsoft understands not everyone uses DHCP...right?

DHCP is required for a BMR.  Keep in mind the target audience of the product: people who wouldn't have a clue what DHCP is, much less how to set it up.

I will go ahead and post the Ipconfig of one of the PC's with the dynamic IP and then of my PC with a static IP.

Just so you know..I shortened the available IP addresses for the DHCP server on the router...it issues 192.168.2.2 through 192.168.2.10
    (the list of DHCP leases only showed through 192.168.2.7 that was ever issued).

DHCP system --

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Belkin
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-4D-DE-31-C3
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:00:56 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 11:14:07 PM

My Settings (static)

Thanx again for your help....

You're trying to restore your PC through wireless?  If so (and you have any type of encryption set up for your wireless signal), there's your problem.  Restoring wirelessly is A) unsupported and B) impossible if your signal is encrypted.  Try connecting through a wire.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 4:36 PM
  • I understand my original post was a bit winded...I am sorry...that's the way I am.. LOL :)

But, I did state that I used my non-wireless NIC for the restore and even ran a 25 foot Cat5e cable from my office to my living room
    where my router lives...

Last night I went ahead and set the router back to the factory defaults and immediately disabled the UNPNP setting.  Its not really needed
    anyway.  I setup all the port forwardings manually (80, 443. 4125) to point to the WHS's IP address and all the ports are showing open
    on the server EXCEPT 4125.  I even temporarily placed the IP address of the WHS in the router's DMZ and still it is blocking port 4125
    (by going to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ on the server).  Can that be the cause of the issue with it not connecting to the Console?
    Isn't that the port Microsft assigned to the RDP on the server itself?

I continue to have the same problem.  Any computer that is on the DHCP will not run the WHS Console.

So..I guess I am stuck having to replace the freakin router...

It wouldn't be so bad if I could just disable the DHCP and use static but once again the restore does not support it.  I understand the
    target audience...but for those of us who understand the more advanced aspects..they should at least given us an option to
    setup the IP manually if we know how..and a lot of people do..not just us IT freaks.

I'm now debating whether to just skip the router all together and use the DHCP plugin for the WHS I saw posted on We Got Served.

I already e-mailed Belkin with questions about the port forwarding issues (I was technical) and their response was fit for a 3 year old so
    I don't think I'm going to get anywhere else with them on why their router is so screwed up.  It has the latest firmware update.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Orlandotek:

The port forwarding settings are only for remote access. These shouldn't matter when you're at home on the network.

There shouldn't be an issue with having static IP addresses on your PCs - that's what I'm doing currently; all PC addresses are static except for wireless adapters on laptops. But when doing a restore from the Home PC Restore CD, the minimal OS on the CD will use DHCP to get an IP address, so DHCP has to be enabled on your router. But the server can have a fixed IP.

I am not familiar with the way that the restore CD locates the server, but if it scans the subnet by IP address then why don't you try giving the server the fixed IP address 192.168.2.2 so that it would be one of the first IP addresses scanned. Move the DHCP range up higher than the present setting so that it doesn't conflict with the fixed server IP.

Also, from one of your earlier posts, the lease time given to a PC by your router is amazingly long; 29 years! Just in case that's causing an issue, does the router firmware support changing the lease time? Try setting it to one day.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Yes the router supports changing the lease time and I set it to 2 weeks before and it did not help.

Let's forget about the Restore for right now.

Why is it that when I have the router set to DHCP and I go to any computer that has a DHCP assigned IP address does the
    WHS Console not work.  Not only does the Console not work..other things are an issue on these machines like for example --

On a machine with a DHCP assigned address..that does not yet have the Connector software installed, I type in
    http://192/168.2.60:55000
    into the browser (The IP address of my WHS) and I get that screen where I can download the connector sofware
    Great and wonderful.  I click on "Download Now" for the Connector software. I download it.  Once its downloaded I tell it to Open (run)..
    it then goes to an installer and the installer then goes to a box that says "Downloading from you WHS, please wait 0%" or something like that.
    It stays at 0% for like 20 seconds and then it comes back and says "cannot connect to your WHS. Please make sure its online".

I can then simply set the IP for static and go through the same process again and this time during the setup of the WHSConsole software
    it connects, downloads 100% of whatever it was trying to download and all is okay.

Something is happening in the router where its fouling up something.  The DHCP is issued by the router.  I think I might borrow a router
    from work and see if that fixes it.  Nothing else makes sense.  This whole thing doesn't make sense.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:52 PM
  • I understand my original post was a bit winded...I am sorry...that's the way I am.. LOL :)

But, I did state that I used my non-wireless NIC for the restore and even ran a 25 foot Cat5e cable from my office to my living room
    where my router lives...

You're right.  I forgot about that.  Sorry, my bad.  :)

Last night I went ahead and set the router back to the factory defaults and immediately disabled the UNPNP setting.  Its not really needed
    anyway.  I setup all the port forwardings manually (80, 443. 4125) to point to the WHS's IP address and all the ports are showing open
    on the server EXCEPT 4125.  I even temporarily placed the IP address of the WHS in the router's DMZ and still it is blocking port 4125
    (by going to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ on the server).  Can that be the cause of the issue with it not connecting to the Console?

No.

Isn't that the port Microsft assigned to the RDP on the server itself?

It's for Remote Web Workplace.  (RDP uses port 3389.)  RWW is what is used to allow control of clients (and your server Console) while you're outside of your LAN.

I continue to have the same problem.  Any computer that is on the DHCP will not run the WHS Console.

So..I guess I am stuck having to replace the freakin router...

Are you able to open the Console if you disconnect your modem from your router?

It wouldn't be so bad if I could just disable the DHCP and use static but once again the restore does not support it.  I understand the
    target audience...but for those of us who understand the more advanced aspects..they should at least given us an option to
    setup the IP manually if we know how..and a lot of people do..not just us IT freaks.

I beg to differ (not about the IT freaks part knowing how, but about the "lot of people do").

I'm now debating whether to just skip the router all together and use the DHCP plugin for the WHS I saw posted on We Got Served.

I already e-mailed Belkin with questions about the port forwarding issues (I was technical) and their response was fit for a 3 year old

Unfortunately, that's common with most tech help lines.  They don't know what you're knowledge level is so they assume you know nothing (although sometimes, they don't know that much either).  Typically, if you fall in the "IT freak" crowd and want "real" technical help, you usually have to get to at least a level 2 tech.

so I don't think I'm going to get anywhere else with them on why their router is so screwed up.  It has the latest firmware update.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:23 PM
  • You're right - it doesn't make sense. It sounds like navigation by IP address is working, but is some other method of locating the server being used when connecting to the console, like netBIOS lookup?

Are the server and all of the PCs set to use the same workgroup name?
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:26 PM
  • You're right - it doesn't make sense. It sounds like navigation by IP address is working, but is some other method of locating the server being used when connecting to the console, like netBIOS lookup?

Are the server and all of the PCs set to use the same workgroup name?
    Well, if you are speaking on WINS, no..I am just using the DHCP server and the IP addresses.  On one PC I have the hosts file set to the name of the server
    so I can more easily run RDP on that computer.  But I changed that last nite way after I was having all these issues.

Yes, they all have the same workgroup name..I changed the workgroup name on the server as well. 
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:37 PM
  • I removed the modem out of the equation. (unplugged the modem from the router then turned the router off then back on) and it made no difference.

Same thing. Cannot get any DHCP system to work with Console.

What's unique about the Console over any other part of the Connector software?  Maybe that would help track down the problem.....

I can get to the shares and the backups work...just not the Console itself though the Connector software...

Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Orlandotek:

1. On a PC that is using DHCP and cannot start the console, can you ping the server by name?
    2. Do you see a list of shares if you issue the command net view server, where server is the name of your server?

The above two questions get at whether netBIOS name resolution is working on the network.

3. Is the correct IP address of the server listed in the client's registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients\{95D86014-CCA0-4EC6-8CF7-E87FB93F25F0} under "IP Address"?
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 11:53 PM
  • I tried to install the Connector on a 5th system for testing purposes.

Yes, it shows the IP of the server in the registry location.
    The IP of my server is set to static as 192.168.2.60
    I don't see why I can't set it to a static address.

When I type in net view creamer, whether DHCP enabled or not I get a list of shares.

On that test PC, this is what I did.

OS - Windows 7 RC1 32 Bit
    Wireless connection.
    With DHCP enabled, I went to http://192.168.1.60:55000 and I downloaded the connector software.
    Saved and ran the software.
    It then said "Connecting to the server please wait 0%".  Then said it could not connect to the server.
    I set the IP address as static, and then it would connect and finish installing the connector software and it ran the Console.
    I then switched it back to DHCP and the Console would not run.
    I then downloaded the Connector Troubleshooter from the same http://192.168.1.60:55000 and ran it. 
    This was while the DHCP was enabled.  I got a boatload of errors.
    While it was running, I noticed it was saying --

TCP 1138 - Timeout
    TCP 8912 - Timeout
    TCP 55000 - Timeout
    TCP 56000 - Timeout
    id.xml on 55000 no answer
    hint.aspx on 55000 no answer
    id.xml on 56000 no answer.

Then I got a page that listed this (cut and paste)

IP address mismatch between discovery and name resolution
    Get help with this issue
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (ASPX page)
    Get help with this issue
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (password hint page)
    Get help with this issue
    Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site
    Get help with this issue
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web services
    Get help with this issue
    Cannot connect to the server internal secure Web services
    Get help with this issue
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (simple page)
    Get help with this issue
    Name resolution failed

When I switched back to the static IP, I did not get any of these errors.

Here is the strangest part...here is the ping information you asked for..

This is from that same test computer --

With the DHCP turned off
    Pinging creamer [192.168.2.60] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.2.60: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.2.60: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.60:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 1ms

With the DHCP turned on
    Pinging creamer.Belkin [24.28.193.9] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 24.28.193.9: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=111
    Reply from 24.28.193.9: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=110
    Reply from 24.28.193.9: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=111
    Reply from 24.28.193.9: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=110

Ping statistics for 24.28.193.9:
        Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 34ms

What is this "Belkin" thing on the 2nd ping listing and why is the server IP not listed?
    What is that IP address????  I cannot find it in the router.

There is a setting in the router that says --

Local Domain Name  (Optional) >

And its set to "Belkin".  There's no way to disable it.

Darn router.

Not sure where to go from here but I think this wrong IP address is the main part of the problem..

And last night I reset the router back to factory specs.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 12:45 AM
  • I tried to install the Connector on a 5th system for testing purposes.

Yes, it shows the IP of the server in the registry location.
    The IP of my server is set to static as 192.168.2.60
    I don't see why I can't set it to a static address.

When I type in net view creamer, whether DHCP enabled or not I get a list of shares.

On that test PC, this is what I did.

OS - Windows 7 RC1 32 Bit
    Wireless connection.
    With DHCP enabled, I went to http://192.168.1.60:55000 and I downloaded the connector software.

Are you 100% certain you went to 192.168.1.60?  Because down below when you pinged creamer (which I assume is your server), it responded with 192.168.2.60.

Saved and ran the software.
    It then said "Connecting to the server please wait 0%".  Then said it could not connect to the server.
    I set the IP address as static, and then it would connect and finish installing the connector software and it ran the Console.
    I then switched it back to DHCP and the Console would not run.
    I then downloaded the Connector Troubleshooter from the same http://192.168.1.60:55000 and ran it. 
    This was while the DHCP was enabled.  I got a boatload of errors.
    While it was running, I noticed it was saying --

TCP 1138 - Timeout
    TCP 8912 - Timeout
    TCP 55000 - Timeout
    TCP 56000 - Timeout
    id.xml on 55000 no answer
    hint.aspx on 55000 no answer
    id.xml on 56000 no answer.

Then I got a page that listed this (cut and paste)

IP address mismatch between discovery and name resolution
    Get help with this issue
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (ASPX page)
    Get help with this issue
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (password hint page)
    Get help with this issue
    Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site
    Get help with this issue
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web services
    Get help with this issue
    Cannot connect to the server internal secure Web services
    Get help with this issue
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (simple page)
    Get help with this issue
    Name resolution failed

When I switched back to the static IP, I did not get any of these errors.

Here is the strangest part...here is the ping information you asked for..

This is from that same test computer --

With the DHCP turned off
    Pinging creamer [192.168.2.60] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.2.60: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.60:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 1ms

With the DHCP turned on

What is this "Belkin" thing on the 2nd ping listing and why is the server IP not listed?
    What is that IP address????  I cannot find it in the router.

There is a setting in the router that says --

Local Domain Name  (Optional) >

And its set to "Belkin".  There's no way to disable it.

LOL.  Yeah, that sounds real "optional" to me.  :)  What about deleting the word "Bellkin" and leaving it blank?

Darn router.

Not sure where to go from here but I think this wrong IP address is the main part of the problem..

And last night I reset the router back to factory specs.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 12:59 AM
  • With the DHCP turned on

Now you've hit upon the issue. The IP address 24.28.193.9 resolves to RoadRunner; apparently your ISP. The router is passing the DNS lookup on to your ISP's DNS server instead of resolving it to an address on your local network. Of course, RoadRunner's DNS servers know nothing about the internal IP address of your server, so the process fails.

I'm not familiar with the firmware in the Belkin router, but are there any settings that control how DNS requests are handled?
    Monday, September 14, 2009 1:51 AM
  • To Kariya21

>>Are you 100% certain you went to 192.168.1 .60?  Because down below when you pinged creamer (which I assume is your server), it responded with 192.168.2 .60.

Sorry...that was a typo..it was 192.168.2.60

>>LOL.  Yeah, that sounds real "optional" to me.  :)  What about deleting the word "Bellkin" and leaving it blank?

Yeah, I tried that..it just put the word "Belkin" back in

To Mark Wharton

>>
    I'm not familiar with the firmware in the Belkin router, but are there any settings that control how DNS requests are handled?

There is only one place in the router setup that speaks anything at all about DNS --

Here is what it says --

WAN > DNS

Automatic from ISP

DNS Address >

. . .

Secondary DNS Address >

. . .

DNS = Domain Name Server. A server located on the Internet
    that translates URL's (Universal Resource Links)
    like www.belkin.com to IP addresses.You must enter the
    DNS settings provided by your ISP if you don't use the
    Automatic DNS function More Info

Monday, September 14, 2009 2:51 AM
  • WAN > DNS

Automatic from ISP

Automatic should be the correct setting but I suppose it's worth a try.

When you set a PC to a manual IP address, what do you enter for the DNS server address? Still as shown in your earlier post:
    My Settings (static)

The above settings pass DNS lookup requests to the router. It's curious that the router knows not to pass these along to the ISP's DNS server in this configuration but does pass them on when you use DHCP. Both manual and DHCP should handle DNS lookups the same, I would think.

If you can still borrow that router from work, I'd try that.
    • Marked as answer by Orlandotek Monday, September 14, 2009 2:38 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:47 AM
  • Thanx and I am with you 100%.

Yeah, I have the DNS set to 192.168.2.1 which is the DNS of the router.

I guess I'm just resolved to needing to replace this Belkin N router.  Its just 6 months old.

Even if it weren't for this problem..the router continues not to open ports I tell it to open...I think I got a dud.

I would be happy simply setting the IP address manually on all my systems I want to run the Connector software
    on and run backups for now..but Microsoft did not provide manual support of setting of the IP when using the Restore CD
    so I am really screwed when it comes to doing a system Restore. Something they should include in new revisions of the WHS Suite in
    my opinion.  Servers rely heavily on IP addresses...there should always be a way to set it manually..if not for anything else
    but for troubleshooting.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:35 PM
  • I actually think I discovered a work around for the DNS issue on the Restore.

I simply unplugged the modem from the router which should force resolution the router.

I tried this with one of the DHCP enabled systems which had been pointing to the RoadRunner DNS on the ping request..

Once I unplugged the modem it then resolved to the DNS of the router.

So that is my work around for now.  It should get the restore to work.  
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:44 AM
  • That sounds workable -- assign fixed IP addresses to the PCs to avoid the issue on a day-to-day basis, and disconnect the modem when you need to do a restore.

If you ever go looking for a new router the D-Link DIR-825 is a gem. It's the first D-Link product that I've purchased and has a dizzying array of configuration options in the firmware; a true tweaker's delight.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:23 AM
  • Very cool I'll look it up.  Thanx again for all your help.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:41 AM
  • I actually think I discovered a work around for the DNS issue on the Restore.

I simply unplugged the modem from the router which should force resolution the router.

I tried this with one of the DHCP enabled systems which had been pointing to the RoadRunner DNS on the ping request..

Once I unplugged the modem it then resolved to the DNS of the router.

So that is my work around for now.  It should get the restore to work.  

I suggested that in my third post yesterday.  :)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:06 AM