none
Why can't I back button from forums to bing? RRS feed

• Question

• I find a thread via a Bing search, I click on it.  Turns out it doesn't help, I hit the browser back button and WTF? I can't back out of this forum!!  I have to go right click on the IE back button to get back to my Bing search results.  The experience kind of sucks.  Please fix.
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• I can't repro this, browser? version?  Can you include the search url that has the result and which result you try? Thanks!
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:17 PM
    Answerer
  • I have this problem intermittently when viewing the forum (and not just when linking from Bing). I find that if while looking at a thread, I click the browser's back button, the current page (the thread) just reloads. If I right-click on the browser's back button. I see that the first page to go back to is called "Continue" (choosing this causes the current page to reload), to really go back to the previous page, I have to bypass the "Continue" page and choose the second previous page.  I haven't found a way to reliably reproduce the problem. I should also point out that I'm using FireFox 4.0.1 - I haven't tried with other browsers.

Friday, May 13, 2011 12:01 AM
  • @Blackwood, yes that is exactly what I see - "Continue" on the back button history list.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 3:47 PM
  • I'm using Microsoft's latest and greatest browser IE 9 (32-bit) RTM on Windows 7 SP1.

Friday, May 13, 2011 10:44 PM
  • I've had the same experience searching with IE 8 (Windows 7 64-bit and Vista 32-bit) on the Microsoft site, but I don't know how to duplicate the problem. Most of the time the back button works fine.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 8:59 PM
  • I find a thread via a Bing search, I click on it.

I just realized that the only time I may possibly see this is if W7 loses my Cookies for BING.   I always use the Open results in new window checkbox in Preferences.   Much easier to close a tab and guarantee that I'm going to get back to where I was in my search results than risk whatever I'll get by using Back.   <eg>

---

Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Have you perhaps clicked a link that triggered an automatic login to the forum? In that case, the Back button may not work.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Monday, May 23, 2011 4:50 PM