bulk edit questions - list data/notes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, do you know if CRM provides an OTB way to bulk edit forms through subgrid list controls?  When I select the bulk edit option for case forms, the subgrid controls are all disabled. Also, do you know if CRM provides an OTB way to bulk update notes?  It seems like this is not supported either.

It seems like it would be a common requirement to update data in these controls. Is there an OTB way to do this that I'm not aware of?  Otherwise, how do you normally handle this requirement?  For example, do create a custom BulkEdit entity and use it's form/plugin to handle the list control and notes updates?
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:05 PM

Answers

• Not exactly, and no.  Honestly, it's not something that's ever come up in the deployments I have done.

For the subgrid edit, the best method is to navigate to a view of the subgrid entity itself, then either select the appropriate records to update, or use Advanced find to find them.  If you need to add a new copy of the same record to a whole lot of parent records, I'd dump the data in to Excel and just change the parent lookup field for each record you need to attach to.

For bulk-editing notes, you'd have to build a whole interface and plugin.  Be careful you're not violating any regulatory agreements about note history.  I'd say more than half of my clients disable the ability to edit notes at all, as they need to be able to demonstrate a perfect history of notes on a record.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:23 PM