Can't find more than one servers when doing recovery? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm writing whs recovery application by using whs_recovery_dll.dll.
    I setup two servers and reboot them into recovery mode.
    I found that pfn_discoveryservers did not wait for the 10-second timeout I set and return immediately if it discovered any one of servers.
    And it only returned one server rather than both two servers
    It only waits for the timeout if no server is found.

I'm wondering how to make it wait for the timeout and return more than one servers??  Is there anyone can help?

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 3:21 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately at this time pfn_discoveryservers will only wait the timeout if it cannot find any servers, and if it does find a/any server(s) will return the first one it found... something that at present is by design.

In a home environment there is virtually no chance of two Home Servers being in recovery mode at the same time... and even if there was there is no good way to tell the difference between the two (how many home users know what an IP or Mac address are and how to map them to a given machine)?

A few months ago when doing my own work with the recovery dll I made it a point to have my recovery server on a private network so that only I would be able to hit it so that any testers down the hall who also might have a box in recovery mode wouldn't be affected.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:57 PM

All replies

• Normally, only one server will be in recovery mode at a time, so is this really an issue, or just a "what if"? :) If you need to recover multiple servers from a single client PC, you'll have to do them one at a time anyway...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 10:29 PM
  • Unfortunately at this time pfn_discoveryservers will only wait the timeout if it cannot find any servers, and if it does find a/any server(s) will return the first one it found... something that at present is by design.

In a home environment there is virtually no chance of two Home Servers being in recovery mode at the same time... and even if there was there is no good way to tell the difference between the two (how many home users know what an IP or Mac address are and how to map them to a given machine)?

A few months ago when doing my own work with the recovery dll I made it a point to have my recovery server on a private network so that only I would be able to hit it so that any testers down the hall who also might have a box in recovery mode wouldn't be affected.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:57 PM