none
MCITP admin path RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I need a bit of guidance. I want to do the MCITP admin but only have a oldish desktop to achieve it. 

It's a E8400 with 4 gigs of memory.Do you guys think this will be enough to setup the required VMs and lab through all the work. My employer can only help me with access to a lab that can only run 32-bit VMs. I take it this will not suffice?

Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:12 PM

Answers

• Which MCITP Admin are you referring to as there are a number of different ones SQL Server, Windows Server, Windows Desktop?
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Friday, November 25, 2011 1:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. WhartyModerator Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:47 AM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 4:54 AM

All replies

• Which MCITP Admin are you referring to as there are a number of different ones SQL Server, Windows Server, Windows Desktop?
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Friday, November 25, 2011 1:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. WhartyModerator Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:47 AM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 4:54 AM
  • Depends what are you trying to achieve. If you are going for Exchange ITPRO, then you need to run x64 VMs, if you want to go for SharePoint or Lync ITPRO then you need to work with x64 machines aswell.

In most cases 4GBs of RAM will not be sufficient, if you want to work with multiserver scenarios.

Important to mention, certification is not only about playing in VMs, it is about real world experience with such a product, and some theoretical knowledge of the configuration etc.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Friday, November 25, 2011 10:34 AM