I want to clone my WHS harddrive... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Because I have a "little" 160Gb HD in my DELL GX260 used as a Windows Home Server, I want to buy a bigger disk (perharps 300 or 500Gb if I can).

Microsoft suggests to use the biggest HD as first HD with the OS.

Do you know if it's possible to clone the first HD on the new one with, for example, a tool like Norton Ghost 2003 ? Did you try this and what was the result ?

Sorry if I made some english mistake but, shame on me, I'm french...

Regards,

Joel

Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:51 PM

Answers

• Joel, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to clone the drive, but you may run into some problems with Drive Extender when you go to expand the data partition onto the extra unused space, as it expects to manage the entire storage pool.

You would probably be better off just reinstalling WHS on the new drive. If you've activated it already, you can obtain a new product key the same way you got the first one (up to 5 keys, I believe).
    Monday, March 12, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Joel,

I've gone through 3 hardware configs with a 40Gb "SYS" drive. When I got to the third I was still using the 40Gb "SYS" drive and added 2 80Gbs after the install. After the install I came by 2 200Gb HDs and one at at time replaced the 2 80Gbs with the

2  200Gbs.

I ran this config for about a week then decided to use one of the 80Gb that I had, so I decided to replace the 40 with the 80 to make this my new "SYS" drive. I used Acronis True Image 8 to copy the 2 partions to the new 80Gb HD, resizing the "SYS" back to 10Gbs and allocating the balance for the "DATA" partion. I have had this setup for over 2 weeks and my WHS dosen't notice the difference.

Mike

Monday, April 16, 2007 3:32 AM

All replies

• Joel, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to clone the drive, but you may run into some problems with Drive Extender when you go to expand the data partition onto the extra unused space, as it expects to manage the entire storage pool.

You would probably be better off just reinstalling WHS on the new drive. If you've activated it already, you can obtain a new product key the same way you got the first one (up to 5 keys, I believe).
    Monday, March 12, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

In fact, do you think it's really a problem to keep the "little" HD (160Go) as the fist one (with the WHS) and just adding new and bigger ones ?

Regards,

Joel

Monday, March 12, 2007 9:24 PM
  • With this beta in particular, yes I think it's important to use your largest drive as your primary or system drive. There's a known limitation that results in being unable to copy more data to your WHS in one shot than the available free space on the data partition of that drive. And once you've done that, Drive Extender will have to clear the drive off before you'll see that space come available again.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 10:28 PM
  • I actually did clone my primary from a 40G to an 80G drive using Ghost 8.  While it worked, it was not a smooth process.

The drive did clone just fine (disk-to-disk), and after I did that I changed the 40G to a slave and left it in the machine.  When I booted up, it showed 60(something)G free on the D drive, but then I noticed it changed down to 30(somethin)G.  I looked in disk manager and it changed the D drive from the 2nd partition on the primary disk to the 2nd partition on the secondary.  I tried to removed that drive letter and it hung the machine.  Booted to dos and used Part to remove all partitions on the 40G drive and leave it unallocated.  I booted back up to WHS and the D drive was correct, but my network health was critical.  I opened up the connector and it said that backups were not working.  Checked the event log and the backup service wouldn't start because it's database was missing.  I was about to do a re-install (which I didn't want to do because of all the extra shares/users I would have to re-do as well), but decided as a last ditch effort to completely pull the 40G drive out of the machine.  After I did that and logged into WHS all seemed to be working.  The only reminant I have left is when I look at the storage drives in the connector, it shows the primary drive as being a Maxtor 40g drive with 74G available instead of the Western Digital drive that it really is.  (see this picture )

While Ghost does clone the MBR, I assume that something in that is used for inside of WHS for the backup service and that you would have to blank the MBR as well if you plan to keep the drive in.  I'm just guessing as I have not put the 40G drive back in that machine since I got it back up and running...

As far as the largest drive for the primary drive...  I have 2 80G and a 200G in my server, and here's what I noticed when I was copying all my data back up (about 150G).  The avaliable space reported on those shares starts to go down as I copy data, but then starts to bounce back up and eventually gets back to the 63ish Gig I have on that drive.  The only limitation on the primary drive is that I can't copy a single file of larger than 63G up at one time.  Beyond that, I have had no problem with the 80G drive as the primary.  While this is an odd glitch, I don't think it's caused any problems for me not using the 200G as the primary...

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:36 PM
  • Joel,

I've gone through 3 hardware configs with a 40Gb "SYS" drive. When I got to the third I was still using the 40Gb "SYS" drive and added 2 80Gbs after the install. After the install I came by 2 200Gb HDs and one at at time replaced the 2 80Gbs with the

2  200Gbs.

I ran this config for about a week then decided to use one of the 80Gb that I had, so I decided to replace the 40 with the 80 to make this my new "SYS" drive. I used Acronis True Image 8 to copy the 2 partions to the new 80Gb HD, resizing the "SYS" back to 10Gbs and allocating the balance for the "DATA" partion. I have had this setup for over 2 weeks and my WHS dosen't notice the difference.

Mike

Monday, April 16, 2007 3:32 AM