why do i not have the option to allow a program thru without turning off firewall or making an exception in advanced options? RRS feed

• Question

• i have set onecare to run as administrator in the propeties/compatibily and still the firewall blocks programs and does not allow me to allow programs thru without going to lengthy steps. why can i not be asked if i want to allowa program thru right when it blocks it. it says only administrator may allow a program thru. i do not and sometime can not even browse to the location of a program i want to allow thru. like how do you browse to "Help and Support".

the firewall should say a program has been blocked would you like to allow the program to run ...or something along those lines.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello curiouscustomer, allowing a program to access the internet should be a fairly easy process. Usually when an unknown program tries to establish an internet connection you will be prompted by the One Care firewall to allow or block this program. You may see the same prompt twice and if running on Vista you will see a UAC prompt but that is all that needs to be done to allow a program in most cases. If you see this prompt each time a program requests internet access open One Care>Change Settings>Firewall, uncheck the box that says "Always ask me whether to block or allow programs".
    Jim
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:17 PM
  • yes that may be true. but onecare is telling me, in a pop up balloon in the system tray that only an administrator may change these settings.
    why does it not think i am the administrator?
    i think this is a vista issue where the an administrator account is inactive or something. either way it is rather annoying and not obvious to solve.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 12:44 AM
  • the only way i can get programs thru is in advanced settings. why does onecare think i am the administrator when i am there but not otherwise?
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 12:45 AM
  • I believe that your best option at this point is to contact support since something does not appear to be working correctly for OneCare on your machine regarding administrative rights.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 2:14 AM
  • I know it's been awhile since you wrote about this firewall issue, but I was wondering how you got it working again - I'm having the same problem and Microsoft Support hasn't been very helpful.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:45 PM
  • I know it's been awhile since you wrote about this firewall issue, but I was wondering how you got it working again - I'm having the same problem and Microsoft Support hasn't been very helpful.  Thanks!

OneCare support? What is you case number? I'd like to have that investigated as it would seem that there is either something wrong with OneCare or with permissions on the PC. In either case, it should be something that support should resolve  for you, even if it requires escalation.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:47 PM
  • I did resolve the problem eventually using the database reset tool.  The problem with support was that I only received some kind of pre-formulated response that didn't even address my question remotely.  It was frustrating to write a detailed question with all the steps I had taken and then receive a response listing some of the things I specifically said I already did.  But it is closed now, and I'm moving on to other issues.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:06 PM
  • no, any kind of reset only lead to the same problem.

clean install of Vista solved the issue.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:55 PM