Main Storage RRS feed

• Question

•   
    Hello,
    I'm considering WHS however I need s little clairification. I realize WHS will back up any selected media on any computer you wish and it to the "Backup Pool" on the server. What if I wanted to host all my pictures, movies, etc on the server itself? I read somewhere that files stored directly on the server cannot be added to the "backup pool". Is this correct? Is WHS really not designed for this?
    Thanks for any help.
    James
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:23 AM

Answers

• jamepcc said:

Hello,
    I'm considering WHS however I need s little clairification. I realize WHS will back up any selected media on any computer you wish and it to the "Backup Pool" on the server. What if I wanted to host all my pictures, movies, etc on the server itself?

Then you need to add those files to the network shares on the server.  The client PC backup database is completely independent of the network shares.

jamepcc said:

I read somewhere that files stored directly on the server cannot be added to the "backup pool". Is this correct?

If you mean the client backup database, yes that is correct.  However, the data in the shares on the server can be backed up to an external drive for off-site storage through a different function on WHS.

jamepcc said:

Is WHS really not designed for this?
    Thanks for any help.
    James

Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:46 AM
  • jamepcc said:

Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  One more though.
    Can different users be specified for WHS (similar to XP or Vista)?

Yes, you can have up to 10 user accounts on the server.

jamepcc said:

Will these WHS users have their own Pictures, Videos, Documents folders (again like XP or Vista)?

Not by default.  When you add a user to the server, it automatically creates a folder for that user.  However, there are no subfolders inside it.  (Of course, you can create your own subfolders however you wish.)

jamepcc said:

The reason I ask is because my wife and I have the same pictures but we organize them much differently on our computers.
    Does WHS sound like the proper solution for us?  Here's what we are looking for;
    Hosting all our pictures, videos etc. on a server.

Yes.  There are default shares for pictures, videos, and music.  All 3 of those folders can be setup for media streaming.  And, with the permissions set up correctly, those can also be downloaded through the internet.

jamepcc said:

Automatically backing up to a seperate hard drive (folder duplication I think).

Folder Duplication is not a backup.  It offers redundancy, nothing more.  If you want to backup the network shares, you need to use the backup app that comes with Power Pack 1.

jamepcc said:

Auto cloud backup.

Not by default.  However, there is at least one add-in that offers cloud backup.  I use the Amazon WHS add-in to backup critical documents online.

jamepcc said:

Seperate users on WHS so we can organize pictures differently.

Yes.  Please see my response above.

jamepcc said:

Thanks again,
    James

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it sounds to me like you are treating WHS like a client, which it's not.  You are not supposed to logon the server desktop at all for any reason (accessing the desktop at all is unsupported).

Friday, February 20, 2009 5:03 AM

All replies

• Hosting your photos, movies and other files is exactly what this server is all about. When you install the Connector software on the client system (10 client limit) you will then have access to several folders to drag and drop files into. Folders are: Music, Photos, Public, Software, Users, Videos. You grant access to these folders and rights as well when you create the Users for the system. You also decide if you want to enable duplication on a folder. What this means is that the system will store the same file on a different HDD so when one drive dies you have the data backed up on another drive.
    I'm not sure what you mean by a "Backup Pool". You are asked to configure the backups on any client you install the Connector software on, once done it is then backed up. You can exclude folders from being backed up if you wish and some folders are automatically set not to backup because there isn't any reason to back those up (temp, etc).
    The Pool of drives are all those drives you decide to install into the Pool, you don't have to put all drives into the pool, you can designate a drive as a backup only device if you desire. Many options abound to allow sharing and a basic form of data protection.

One word of advice: SATAII.
    PACS Technical Support Engineer
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:42 AM
  • jamepcc said:

Hello,
    I'm considering WHS however I need s little clairification. I realize WHS will back up any selected media on any computer you wish and it to the "Backup Pool" on the server. What if I wanted to host all my pictures, movies, etc on the server itself?

Then you need to add those files to the network shares on the server.  The client PC backup database is completely independent of the network shares.

jamepcc said:

I read somewhere that files stored directly on the server cannot be added to the "backup pool". Is this correct?

If you mean the client backup database, yes that is correct.  However, the data in the shares on the server can be backed up to an external drive for off-site storage through a different function on WHS.

jamepcc said:

Is WHS really not designed for this?
    Thanks for any help.
    James

Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  One more though.
    Can different users be specified for WHS (similar to XP or Vista)?  Will these WHS users have their own Pictures, Videos, Documents folders (again like XP or Vista)?  The reason I ask is because my wife and I have the same pictures but we organize them much differently on our computers.
    Does WHS sound like the proper solution for us?  Here's what we are looking for;
    Auto cloud backup.
    Thanks again,
    James
    Friday, February 20, 2009 1:14 AM
  • jamepcc said:

Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  One more though.
    Can different users be specified for WHS (similar to XP or Vista)?

Yes, you can have up to 10 user accounts on the server.

jamepcc said:

Will these WHS users have their own Pictures, Videos, Documents folders (again like XP or Vista)?

Not by default.  When you add a user to the server, it automatically creates a folder for that user.  However, there are no subfolders inside it.  (Of course, you can create your own subfolders however you wish.)

jamepcc said:

The reason I ask is because my wife and I have the same pictures but we organize them much differently on our computers.

Yes.  There are default shares for pictures, videos, and music.  All 3 of those folders can be setup for media streaming.  And, with the permissions set up correctly, those can also be downloaded through the internet.

jamepcc said:

Folder Duplication is not a backup.  It offers redundancy, nothing more.  If you want to backup the network shares, you need to use the backup app that comes with Power Pack 1.

jamepcc said:

Auto cloud backup.

Not by default.  However, there is at least one add-in that offers cloud backup.  I use the Amazon WHS add-in to backup critical documents online.

jamepcc said:

Yes.  Please see my response above.

jamepcc said:

Thanks again,
    James

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it sounds to me like you are treating WHS like a client, which it's not.  You are not supposed to logon the server desktop at all for any reason (accessing the desktop at all is unsupported).

Friday, February 20, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Thanks again for the excellant info. again.
    Since my wife and I organize our pictures differently, am I going the correct direction in creating different users with our own folders?  We won't need seperate folders for anything else.
    Perhaps just one user with 2 Picture Folders (Maria's Pictures and James Pictures), this sounds more simple.
    If we have our own Pictures Folders (same pictures just organized differently) will WHS keep only one copy (single instance) and something like Vista's virtual folders or does there have to be an actual copy for each folder?  I think the single instance thing refers only to backing up computersThanks again,
    James
    Friday, February 20, 2009 11:26 PM
  • jamepcc said:

Thanks again for the excellant info. again.
    Since my wife and I organize our pictures differently, am I going the correct direction in creating different users with our own folders?

That's up to you to decide.  The one advantage of keeping all of the pics in the Photos share is that you can stream them to another device (like an XBox 360).  If you keep the pics in the users' profiles, you can't do that.

jamepcc said:

We won't need seperate folders for anything else.
    Perhaps just one user with 2 Picture Folders (Maria's Pictures and James Pictures), this sounds more simple.

What I would do is create both of those folders inside the Photos share.  Then you can keep them separate, yet still have the streaming ability.

jamepcc said:

If we have our own Pictures Folders (same pictures just organized differently) will WHS keep only one copy (single instance) and something like Vista's virtual folders or does there have to be an actual copy for each folder?

You would need a copy of the file in each folder.

jamepcc said:

I think the single instance thing refers only to backing up computers

Correct.

jamepcc said:

Thanks again,
    James

Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:00 AM