"this computer cannot connect to your home server. Check ..." RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small company in which 6 desktop computers back up to the WHS every day.  Up until a few days ago, I could access the counsel with no problem.  No matter what I do, I am unable to access either drive to pull information off of it.  The computers continue to back up on a daily basis, and the health of the system is "green".  When I click on the desktop icon for the HP Data Vault, internet explorer cannot display the webpage.  Below is the error I am getting when I click on the icon in my taskbar.  There is one symbol on the outside of the unit that is constanly flashing on and off.  It is a picture of a screen with what looks like an EKG symbol running through it.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

"This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:30 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same trouble.  I've been using WHS for a year on a old tower with 3 Windows 7 laptops and 1 Vista Home Premium, an Xbox and a PS3 with no issues. My home is wired with Cat5 to two switches and a wireless N router going the the modem.  So my layout is modem-router-switches=wired/wireless clients.  I changed my ISP last week and have had nothing but trouble since.  The tray icon for the console displays sever status but I can't access the server or files.  If I use my servers internal IP address 192.168.1.101 in a browser I can log in for file shares, but can't get in any other way.  The PS3 streams media fine but the other clients won't access the shares.

Not trying to hijack your post Dan just adding my two cents.

Sunday, August 7, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Is your ISP using OpenDNS for their DNS resolution? Is your server fully patched?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 4:48 PM