Onecare slow loading on computer startup. RRS feed

• Question

• On startup, onecare is slow loading. It takes a few minutes, but I thought it should load more quickly. anything I can do to speed it up?

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:18 PM

Answers

• If you have any other security software installed, it could be causing slow performance and should be removed. It may well be that your PC is low on resources, with many programs starting when Windows starts. In OneCare, review your startup programs by going to the Tune-up tab in OneCare/Change Settings, and then click the Change Startup settings button. Disable programs that are loading that you don't need loading at the PC start.

How much memory does your PC have (not space, but memory - Control Panel/System or right click My Computer/select properties.)?

-steve

Friday, August 22, 2008 3:22 PM

All replies

• If you have any other security software installed, it could be causing slow performance and should be removed. It may well be that your PC is low on resources, with many programs starting when Windows starts. In OneCare, review your startup programs by going to the Tune-up tab in OneCare/Change Settings, and then click the Change Startup settings button. Disable programs that are loading that you don't need loading at the PC start.

How much memory does your PC have (not space, but memory - Control Panel/System or right click My Computer/select properties.)?

-steve

Friday, August 22, 2008 3:22 PM
  • memory is 512 mb I did disable 2 programs. No other security software on computer. Do not notice improvment on loading.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:36 AM
  • Disabled is not exactly the same thing as removed.  What are the 2 security programs you're referring to?  Here are some removal/cleanup examples, though some of the links seem a bit old...

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107064&lc=1033

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:33 AM
  • no, not security programs disabled, (don't have any). Just this, which I did:

review your startup programs by going to the Tune-up tab in OneCare/Change Settings, and then click the Change Startup settings button. Disable programs that are loading that you don't need loading at the PC start.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:56 PM
  • So sorry, I misread your reply about the 2 programs.  Have you ever tried to hibernate rather than a normal shutdown? You can try this provided you have plenty of free space on your hard disk, in your case at least 512 Meg free.  I use hibernate to both shutdown and come back up quickly sometimes.  You don't want to do it every time though, as your operating system doesn't get refreshed when you optionally hibernate. If possible, adding more memory (RAM) could help too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernate_(OS_feature))

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 4:12 PM
  • You didn't really answer the question of WHY it takes so long to load OneCare. It takes up to 5 times longer to startup now that I've installed OneCare. I do not have any other security programs running and have disabled ever program possible from starting up.

Due to the time it takes to boot my computer, I am totally disatisfied with this product and would like a refund. I don't feel I should have to add resources just because of OneCare.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:09 PM
  • If your computer is taking an exceptional amount of time to start up since installing One Care there may be a conflicting program present. The conflicting program may not be an antimalware program so I suggest contacting support for help with isolating the cause. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:14 PM
  • I believe OneCare can frequently make boot times significantly longer. On a fresh installation of XP on a computer with an Athlon 1800+ (not new, but should run security programs fine), a 7200RPM SATA hard drive (tested read speeds of ~90MB/s), and 1 GB of RAM, boot times went from ~1 minute to ~5 minutes. All that was loading was windows, Nvidia drivers, and OneCare. OneCare seems to be thorough, but often at the cost of boot time. You're going to have to either make significant upgrades or get something else. My Ethos: 4 years intermediate windows troubleshooting experience, small computer business owner.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:52 PM