Imported 110 000 rows into CRM, now I would like to delete them - are there any tools out there? RRS feed

• Question

• This is my first post here and I'm quite new to Microsoft Dynamics CRM.
    I've just tried importing some data into CRM, after the import completed I now want to remove them and do it all over again.

I read about a service called bulk delete but I have a hard time grasping how to use it. From what I read on the web, it seems like bulk delete only helps if I've done the import job via Microsoft import-tool.

Since I've used another tool for migration, my "import jobs" doesn't show under workspace/imports.
    Do any of you know if there's another tool than "bulk delete" that allows me to delete imported data, one that works even if you haven't used Microsoft Data Migration tool for the imports?

Really appreciate all help.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 7:52 AM

Answers

• I found a solution that did the trick - and it is mad fast. It works for all custom entities, but the catch is that it doesn't work on standard entities.

However, for those interested... 

First. Backup your "customization-file" before doing anything else. Now, to erase all data from an entity, just go to customize entities, mark the entity you want to erase data from and hit delete. Once the entity is deleted you can import it again from the backup of the customization-file you just created. Correctly done, the entity will be clean and fresh and it's lightning fast compared to delete the data manually.. just a few minutes tops.

If there's anyone out there who knows how to do this on standard entities as well, please tell me in this thread.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:08 AM

All replies

• You can use Advanced Find to locate all the records you imported and then delete them 250 at a time depending on your grid display option that you set under CRM Options.

Friday, October 24, 2008 12:24 PM
  •  

Donna, Thanks for taking your time trying to help. I know about the possibility to delete the records 250 at a time.

I was aiming for something faster, that required minimal manual work since 110 000 records would be quite slow to delete, even by going 250 at a time.

Any othere suggestions?

Friday, October 24, 2008 12:46 PM
  •  

Hi,

My sugestion, if you have a back-up, selection critery in the DB, and remove them from there. But be careful. 

Good Luck

Friday, October 24, 2008 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

I am not aware of another Microsoft supported method for deleting records.  You could check the SDK.  You might be able to write some code to do the job.  If you have already checked the SDK then I recommend opening a ticket with Microsoft to see if they have a better method.

Thank you

Friday, October 24, 2008 2:25 PM
  • One hack that you could do is increase your paging limit beyond 250. The simplest (though unsupported) way is to update the value of the PagingLimit field in the UserSettings table for your user record.

Friday, October 24, 2008 5:26 PM
  • David, thanks for your reply. Sounds very interesting, I'll try it as soon as I get back to work.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Thanks once again, CRM allowed me to increase the paging limit to 5000 posts which is way better than 250, but it sure would be handy with a dedicated mass deletion tool Smile

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:21 AM
  • If staying within the realm of supportability is not a concern for you, I would use SQL to update the deletionstatecode to 2 for all records you would like deleted.  That's all that deleting them through the SDK or the GUI would do anyway, unless you imported activities, in which case you would set the deletion state code in the activitypointer table and delete the record in the specific activity table.  If you want to stay supported, I would export your customizations, uninstall CRM, delete the database, then reinstall CRM and import the customizations.  After you add your users back in, but before you import your data, create a backup of the CRM database.  At that point you can import all the data you want and if you need to get back to square 1, you just restore the CRM database from the backup you created earlier.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 3:09 PM
  • I found a solution that did the trick - and it is mad fast. It works for all custom entities, but the catch is that it doesn't work on standard entities.

However, for those interested... 

First. Backup your "customization-file" before doing anything else. Now, to erase all data from an entity, just go to customize entities, mark the entity you want to erase data from and hit delete. Once the entity is deleted you can import it again from the backup of the customization-file you just created. Correctly done, the entity will be clean and fresh and it's lightning fast compared to delete the data manually.. just a few minutes tops.

If there's anyone out there who knows how to do this on standard entities as well, please tell me in this thread.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:08 AM
  • This process won't work on the built-in entities, as you can't delete these entities. You can only delete custom entities

Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Yes? I just stated that, second sentence, in the above post..
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:43 PM
  • Peter - how did you do this - I have accounts and contacts - many 0000s - how to buld delete - can not find these settings to change - please / thanks tony.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Hi,

if you want to avoid manual work of deleting 250 at a time, then use SDK web services.

Invoke the web service
    Retrieve the entity records
    FOR i = 0 to all records
    service.delete(entity)
    end loop

Anil
    anil
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:05 AM