WHS update killing server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a brand new Acer Apire EasyStore H340.  The console setup procedure works until the end, when it announces it will now automatically get server OS updates and reboot.  After reboot, the server dies and give the dreaded red light.  I've reinstalled the OS twice via recovery disk, uninstalled the reinstaled the console with the same results.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 11:59 AM

Answers

• BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL

Leo,

Thanks for the info.  This evening a message popped up and said the server needed an update.  I wondered how this could be, since my machine was not connected to it.  Regardless, I accepted the update and now everything is fine!  Houstin, problem solved.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the kind advice and information.  (and thank you MS for the update!)

Best regards,

Mark Latham

Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:17 AM

All replies

• All I can say is that I don't have that issue with my servers. It sounds more like there's an issue with the additional software that Acer includes than that it's a Windows Home Server problem, to be honest.

I would recommend you contact Acer, since presumably one reason you bought an OEM device is for the technical support. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Mark,

I just got my H340 a week ago.  Dead is dead, but I seem to remember the OS update took a long time before I could do anything.  It was hogging resources (network/HD flashing like crazy) making it near impossible to log in.  I think after a couple of hours it finally calmed down.  And the H340 red "i" light is uninformative.  For instance, for me on reboot it came on to remind me that the Acer pre-installed Mcafee isn't updated or registered.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the advice.  I did contact Acer before posting.  I got bounced around all day and was eventually told to send the unit in to them for diagnostics.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 3:10 AM
  • Leo,

Thanks for the info.  How did you know your red light indicated the pre-installed Mcafee isn't updated or registered?

The wierd thing is that I can log onto the http server by finding the ip addr on the router's client list.  So the machine is running.  But the server console says the server is not on line. 

Do you know of any good tools to fix the server console connectivity issue?  Thanks in advance.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 3:13 AM

• When I connected via WHS console the Network Health Tab gave me the option of ignoring the Mcafee issue, and the light turned blue when I clicked it.

I know of no tools.  I just remember my first reboot after it updated and seeing the light red, and not beign able to connect. I thought mine was dead, but I eventually was able to log into it.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Mark,

Not sure if this is related to your problems, but please check out MS Article 972463 (Cannot access Windows Home Server after initial Setup or Server Recovery)?
    No home server like Home Server
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:39 PM
  • BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL

Leo,

Thanks for the info.  This evening a message popped up and said the server needed an update.  I wondered how this could be, since my machine was not connected to it.  Regardless, I accepted the update and now everything is fine!  Houstin, problem solved.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the kind advice and information.  (and thank you MS for the update!)

Best regards,

Mark Latham

Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:17 AM
  • P.S.  Thanks Theo!
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:19 AM