none
How To Correlate Drive's Serial# w/Disc#? RRS feed

• Question

• The only way I know is via Disk Management | [Selected Drive] | Details.

This works for a couple of my drives, but returns "Unknown" for most.

GUID, OTOH, always gets listed - but it is not printed on the physical drive.

This is a big deal for me bc I'm having issues where drives need tb identified/removed/checked for errors.

Anybody been  here?

Workarounds?  Alternatives to Disk Management?

Sunday, September 5, 2010 9:58 PM

All replies

• There is nothing built into Windows Home Server to identify drives. This is something that OEMs and system builders are expected to take care of. OEMs do so via drive lights (remove a drive in the console, the light changes color), but system builders generally have to figure it out on their own. You can generally connect everything through the registry, but it's not easy to do, and every now and then you'll run across hardware that just doesn't give you everything you need.

In my opinion, there's nothing better than the Disk Management add-in for this task. Install the Disk Management add-in and build a wire-frame that shows the disks in the case. (I presume you've already done this.) Then, for each drive other than your system drive:

• shut the server down.
    • disconnect the drive.
    • boot the server up.
    • See which disk in the console and Disk Management is "missing".
    • Label in Disk Management with the disk serial number (usually on a label on the disk).
    • Move on to the next disk.
    Disconnecting a drive temporarily won't harm your server (though it will throw some serious-looking errors).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 10:34 PM
  • There is nothing built into Windows Home Server to identify drives. 

Late-Breaking News:

For the benefit of anybody else who might come across this thread, I've found two freebie apps that return beaucoups info on physical drives - including serial numbers. Been using both, and recommend both:

• HDTune
    • Hard Disk Sentinel

Finally, I would reiterate that Task Manager lies sometimes - hiding significant activity under "System Idle Process."

I banged my head against the wall for months trying to figure out what was eating my CPU until somebody recommended a third app: "Process Explorer".

Once I got that puppy up and running, it was about 15 minutes until I had the solution to a problem that had been eluding me for months. (although, to be fair, it doesn't take much of a problem to elude me...) It has an option to make it the replacement for TaskMan and that's what I've done. Also highly recommended.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:22 PM