Mass volume License RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to purchase a License for XP-pro 64bit. I need this OS so I can install it on my own computer NUMEROUS times without having to active. Is this possible? Where can I purchase?

Reason: I run a Raid Array-0. Some/Most of you know that having this type of setup has a limitation of crashing. Now if I were to purchase a License where I can only activate once?well you see where I might come into problems. Which brings me to my next question.

If I were to purchase the 64bit version of XP and my system crashes or when I reformat (Which I like to do once a year) will I have a problem with Microsoft by activating it for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...etc time?

My Specs:

EVGA X58 (132-BL-E758-A1)
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem
    Mushkin 6GB (3 x 2GB) 1600 (PC3 12800)
    X2 GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 in SLi
    PC Power & Cooling PPCT860 860W
    X2 W.D.VelociRaptors 150G in Raid-0
    Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler
    X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Acer 22" W/S
    Tt Kandalf Case (Modded)
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hello Psychotic_God,

Since your question does not pertain to the WGA program it is off-topic to this forum.

But here's some quick info for further research on your part.

An OEM license can only be reinstalled on the computer onto which it was first installed. A full retail license can be moved from one computer to another.  Neither OEM nor full can be installed on more than one computer at a time.  Full retail and OEM licenses for XP allow the consumer to install the OS an unlimited number of times.  However, each time you must activate.  After a certain number of activations within a short time period, you will not be able to automatically activate so you will have to do a slightly more tedious telephonic activation.

Under your circumstances, the best thing to do would be to use a disk imaging program (Acronis True Image, Ghost, etc) to do image-based backups.  After taking an image backup of the installed Windows, apps, and data, if it crashes you can simply restore the image to the system and not have to reinstall Windows, apps, or data, and not have to reactivate as long as you did not make too many significant hardware changes.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:19 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:06 PM