WHS2011 & NL40 Microservers RRS feed

• Question

• I have two NL40 Microservers, one is reconfigured as an HTPC with WHS2011 installed.
    The other I wish to add to the home network as purely storage acess.
    Can anyone possibly help preserve my sanity and explain the probably simple steps I need to follow in order to achieve this...as I’m a week in now and getting nowhere fast, but older!
    Monday, March 5, 2012 3:50 PM

Answers

• I have two NL40 Microservers, one is reconfigured as an HTPC with WHS2011 installed.
    Can anyone possibly help preserve my sanity and explain the probably simple steps I need to follow in order to achieve this...as I’m a week in now and getting nowhere fast, but older!
    Put Windows 7 on your home theater PC and use Windows Home Server for data/media storage. This is the configuration Microsoft intends, and will work better than using Windows Home Server as a HTPC OS, given that there's no 10' interface à la Media Center built in to Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Yellowtangman Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:14 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 6:22 PM

All replies

• "home network as purely storage acess" - are you planning to install 2nd copy of WHS2011 or some other operating system?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, March 5, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Hi Phil and thanks for the reply.  Short answer...whichever way is easiest, if I need to purchase another copy of WHS2011, so be it.
    Monday, March 5, 2012 4:22 PM
    Put Windows 7 on your home theater PC and use Windows Home Server for data/media storage. This is the configuration Microsoft intends, and will work better than using Windows Home Server as a HTPC OS, given that there's no 10' interface à la Media Center built in to Windows Home Server.

• Marked as answer by Yellowtangman Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:14 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Agree with Ken - WHS2011 should be where your data is stored (and backed up from) and then use W7 as your HTPC.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:29 PM

Thanks for that Ken (Phil) I knew the answer would be simple, I'd clearly convinced  myself otherwise!
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:13 PM