Moving Files From One Share To Another: UNC vs D:\Shares? RRS feed

• Question

• Logged directly in to the server via Remote Desktop.

If I move a file/folder from one share to another via \\ServerName\ShareName, everything gets copied to the new destination - as explained in the several threads on this.

But if I go in through D:\Shares\ShareName, the "move" is very quick - as if only the pointers are being updated.

Reading other threads, I get the impression that the first (slow) scenario is the Good-Right-And-Holy-Path and, for some reason, D:\Shares is fraught with one or more downsides.

Can anybody elucidate further?

-- PeteCresswell
    Monday, January 3, 2011 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Pete,
    moving stuff on the same drive is always that - a new pointer to an existing file (this can also be the tombstone) in the MFT is written, that's it.

But I can smell potential problems doing so, since moving the pointers does indeed not move the real files in DE\Shares on the other disks, so if later the disk needs to be managed by drive extender, i.e. to move duplicated files or to empty a disk for replacement the shares as Windows sees them and the pointers do not match. (At least you will be confused, if you have to recover stuff manually, because it is in a different location than expected.)

Again the strong hint: Never touch D:\shares manually! As usual the only supported way is indeed moving via UNC path.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 3, 2011 10:15 PM