Could not add device to mesh RRS feed

• Question

• I've been able to install the mobile client just fine, but when I start it and sign in, it sits for few moments saying 'Getting Mobile Phone Identifier'  Then it says 'Setup Failed' 'The mobile phone was not added to your mesh'

Just thought I should report it in!

--
    BG
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Anyone having this problem who is willing to help us track down the cause, please see this sticky thread.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 8:54 PM

All replies

• Same issue :-(

O2 XDA Orbit 2 Updated to WM6.1
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:44 AM
  • and here :(
    Friday, October 31, 2008 10:50 AM
  • me 2:(
    Friday, October 31, 2008 12:00 PM
  • Make that another ditto!

Friday, October 31, 2008 1:02 PM
  • Me too unfortunately

TyTN II, WM6.0
    Friday, October 31, 2008 2:26 PM
  • just tried again and it all worked.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:48 PM
  • by worked i mean it got my installed ok on my mobile. what it also did is destroy my live mesh account. i now get prompted to accept conditions and then get

Error

Sorry, we were unable to create your Live Mesh account. Please try again

(Code: e6a2bb22-346f, 31/10/2008 09:50 )

:-(
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:53 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I'm sorry we didn't respond to this earlier.

This is one of the known transient errors we're tracking and will fix in the future releases. Getting a device identifier for the phone will fail in rare occurrences and just retrying it in a few minutes (sometimes a few hours) will do the trick.

Please do keep us informed of all occurrences though, since all feedback helps us build a better experience.

Thanks,
    Archis
    A Jedi in the making!
    • Proposed as answer by Archis Gore Friday, October 31, 2008 5:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Friday, October 31, 2008 8:53 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:01 PM
  • and my account just works now.

thanks for the update.

Mike
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:10 PM
  • I'm still getting the error in relation to it not being able to find the identifier. I'm using Windows Mobile 6 on the HTC Touch Cruise.I tried several times this AM (GMT) and several times tonight still no luck.
    • Edited by OliFoS Friday, October 31, 2008 5:49 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Hi I've also been trying all day and have the same problem.

If it helps the screen "pops" (moves a little bit) just after it's tried to detect the device ID.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:39 PM
  • Archis Gore said:

[This is one of the known transient errors we're tracking and will fix in the future releases. Getting a device identifier for the phone will fail in rare occurrences and just retrying it in a few minutes (sometimes a few hours) will do the trick.

Please do keep us informed of all occurrences though, since all feedback helps us build a better experience.

I'm not sure "rare" is the right term.  I've had the error on both my Blackjack II and my AT&T Tilt -- both running Windows Mobile 6.1.  It did work fine on my T-Mobile Shadow, however.  All three devices are on different accounts.  I've retried the BJII and Tilt at least four or five times today with the same error.

Regards,
    Timothy
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Same problem here on a Blackjack II running WM6.1. Tried many times over the past 5 hours without luck.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:49 PM
  • Been getting the same problem for an hour:

T Mobile Vario II running a cook WM 6.1 rom (CRC's v13.0) CE OS 5.2.20270 Build 20270.1.0.0
    Friday, October 31, 2008 7:21 PM
  • im able to get an identifier... but it says that you guys have only allowed a limited number of users... anychance you can make me one of the lucky ones... i am a good guy!
    Ben
    Friday, October 31, 2008 7:56 PM
  • I had this issue on my BJII WM6.1 so I poked around a bit on my phone to see what was up.
    My Opera Browser was working, but IE was not.
    I checked under tools/connections in IE and discovered that my connection method was WAP, which was incorrect. I changed it to "entire internet" or similar and my IE started working... and so did Live Mesh Mobile.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

Anyone having this problem who is willing to help us track down the cause, please see this sticky thread.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 8:54 PM
  • PastorVor said:

I had this issue on my BJII WM6.1 so I poked around a bit on my phone to see what was up.
    My Opera Browser was working, but IE was not.
    I checked under tools/connections in IE and discovered that my connection method was WAP, which was incorrect. I changed it to "entire internet" or similar and my IE started working... and so did Live Mesh Mobile.

This worked for my Blackjack II also. Thanks!

Saturday, November 1, 2008 4:49 PM
  • Don't know what happened, but after not working all day yesterday my BJII running WM6.1 connected to my mesh today

Timothy

Saturday, November 1, 2008 7:47 PM
  •  http://blogs.msdn.com/livemesh/archive/2008/10/30/update-on-installation-of-live-mesh-for-mobile-fixed.aspx suggested using WiFi for the initial connection after installing the Cab.  I was facing the same issue with the Device identifier but using WiFi solved it, I've now reverted to GPRS and ti seems ok.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 10:26 AM
  • Just to add that I've been encountering the inability to add my Cingular 8525 to my Mesh for the past hour or so, with what appears to be an inability to obtain and transmit the device identifier. Of course, the message about the failure is not very helpful in its brevity. ;-)
    No explanation for the failure, not instruction on what to try - just failed...OK closes the app.
    I'll try via WiFi later.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, November 3, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Hi Steve,

If you wouldn't mind helping us out a bit, have you taken a look at this sticky?  It sounds like you're hitting one of the issues that we're investigating.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Thank you for using Live Mesh.

If you're getting a message that Live Mesh Mobile is available only to limited users, you have not clicked on the promotional link that grants you access to this CTP. Please click the link provided for your respective country (note the Home Country for your Live ID profile must be set correctly) on the blog post in http://blogs.msdn.com/livemesh/archive/2008/10/30/update-on-installation-of-live-mesh-for-mobile-fixed.aspx in order to gain access.

-santosh
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:48 AM
  • I had the problem for over a day, trying at various intervals with no joy. Then I thought, that maybe it's something to do with the US and UK only thing (I'm in the UK). So, I logged into accountservices.passport.net and sure enough, my Country/Region was not set. I changed it to the UK, logged out, logged in again to check it had changed, then tried the mobile client once more - It worked !!!

Maybe just a coincidence in timing, maybe not, but thought I'd share in case it helps anyone.

Lee
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:53 AM
  • I checked my country code and it was set correctly, yet I still cant get past to device identifier.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Any update on this issue? I admit I haven't been to the mobile forum in a while, but a search for the problem only brought back the same two threads and I see no announcement about an update to the download.
    -steve
    Monday, December 1, 2008 2:31 AM
  • Well, duh. I decided to re-download the cab file and let it install. What do you know? It worked. My Cingular 8525 has been added to my Mesh. Success!
    -steve
    Monday, December 1, 2008 2:40 AM
  • Well I am having no luck.  I have been a Live Mesh user for a while.  I had to return my HTC Fuze due to a bad radio, but I had Live Mesh Mobile working on it.  Now with my new Fuze, I get the "Setup Failed:  This mobile phone was not added to your mesh."  after the "Getting Mobile Phone Identifier..." step in the login.  I have read through this forum and checked my region settings, and installed the latest SQL files.  I am at a loss.  Is there a real resolution for this problem yet?

*** Edit:  Well after hours of retrying, it finally added my Fuze to my Mesh. 
    • Edited by BrettQ Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:24 AM Fixed.
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Rallicat said:

I've been able to install the mobile client just fine, but when I start it and sign in, it sits for few moments saying 'Getting Mobile Phone Identifier'  Then it says 'Setup Failed' 'The mobile phone was not added to your mesh'

Just thought I should report it in!

--
    BG

Hello all,

I got this annoying error and turned out to be that the cause was having *two* active connections at the same time. Since I just upgraded the software, wanted to have a fast WiFi connection when running Mesh for the first time (they measure your bandwith usage now...).  

I tried multiple times, and wouldnt work, just the same error, but I had been able to get the phone identifier thing seamlessly before. Then I realized that I didn't have WiFi on before... So, this time I tried something a bit different: I turned off the Phone radio (HTC Kaiser -> Comm Manager) and just left WiFi on.  It worked at once.

Conclussion... One of the reasons this failure happens is to have multiple Internet connections active. Be it WiFi, Bluetooth, ActiveSync, Cell.  Make sure there is only one pathway before logging in for the first time.

• Proposed as answer by Andrés S Tuesday, December 9, 2008 7:01 PM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:58 PM
  • It doesn't seem to be working for me.

The CAB installs OK, but nothing else seems to happen. I'm not sure what I expect to see, but it just looks like a normal web page. I get no errors when I login, but the mobile Mesh home page continues to prompt me to add my mobile device to my ring and my phone doesn't appear in my list of devices. (UI note: the "plus" icon looks like it should be clickable to add the device but isn't.)

I've installed (and uninstalled) several times, via PC direct connection and via wireless, logged out and back in (on desktop and mobile), and rebooted the phone a couple of times for good measure, but to no avail.

Using the (disappointing) HTC Touch, running 6.1, which you can't browse via the web file upload dialog (well, only the limited internal storage and not the "external" storage where user documents and photos are saved.

[Edit: reading the threads here referring to device ids being requested or transmitted, I saw no evidence of that - without knowing how obvious that would be - if that's of any significance.]

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Ohhh... I see; it installs a separate application which you invoke and via which you login, a step I failed to notice being mentioned anywhere. 

I get a warning that "some content cannot be displayed due to Pocket PC security settings" without telling me anything useful. It has been sitting saying "Getting data from Live Mesh" for about 5 minutes...

Ah, the delay appears to be it doing something with my local pictures folder, into which it downloaded the single file in the online folder, and the microscopic status bar (had to put my glasses on) reporting "Preparing to sync" with a filecount, when it was actually syncing.

The correctly-identified phone now appears on my desktop list of devices (hoorah!) but both local and online desktop report that the phone is not connected, either when syncing or when I log in (by following the shortcut to a folder on my online desktop).

Well, I guess that's enough excitement for today; I'll investigate the non-connectedness tomorrow but presumably it's a bug.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:23 AM
  • I have a TytnII where it was working - but now after a Hardreset refuses to rejoin the Mesh again - I removed through the website before trying to rejoin.
    Where can I find the files on the device? Currently it refuses to uninstall?
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:19 PM
  • One more Cold Boot ;) - still the same Issue very annoying. Now I will relax and try again some time in the future.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:14 PM
  • retry today without a Cold Boot - still it can not add to mesh. How can I clean up my Mesh as this phone was working before my inital cold boot.
    The trick with only Wifi also didn't help on mine.

Where can I find the logfile?
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:51 AM
  • Daniel Siegl said:

retry today without a Cold Boot - still it can not add to mesh. How can I clean up my Mesh as this phone was working before my inital cold boot.
    The trick with only Wifi also didn't help on mine.

Where can I find the logfile?

Hi,

Instructions for collecting logs can be found in an Announcement at the top of the forums.  If you wouldn't mind collecting those logs and opening a bug through Connect (instructions for that can be found in an Announcement on the main Live Mesh page), we can investigate further and try to help you resolve this problem.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:19 PM
  •  without changing anything it worked yesterday night - very strange.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:27 AM
  • Earlier I had to do a hard reset on my HTC TyTNII WM6.1 .Net 3.5 in ROM.  I'd had Live Mesh Mobile running before hand, after a lot of problems with the "Could not add device to mesh".  Then it just starting working!  So I thought it would be a good time to test this issue. 

Hard reset of the device:

• Installed Mesh Mobile
    • Could not add device to mesh many times!
    • Installed sqlce30.ppc.wce4.armv4.CAB
    • Could not add device to mesh many times!

Hard reset of the device:

• Installed sqlce30.ppc.wce4.armv4.CAB
    • Installed Mesh Mobile
    • Connected to Live Mesh first time!

Hope this helps someone out, with getting on to Mesh from your mobile.

Jasper
    • Proposed as answer by JasperUK Monday, January 26, 2009 4:28 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 4:26 AM