none
Echo Not Copying thumbs.db RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows XP SP2, SyncToy2.0. This is my first experience with this tool and it seems perfect. However, to verify that the copy worked completely, I did a folder->properties on both the left and right folders in the pair. In many of my folder pairs the number of files is different. I have finally traced this to hidden files. In most cases this is the thumbs.db file that XP builds in folders where there are pictures. But it also happened with a file called desktop.ini file in my Favorites folder.

So the differences in the two sides seem to be hidden and system folders. I do not like this behavior. I would like the file totals on each side to match exactly. I have SyncToy set to the default of including system and hidden folders but it does NOT include them in the sync.

Any ideas?
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 1:31 PM

Answers

• You're right. This is exactly by design. SyncToy does not copy thumbs.db and desktop.ini files if they are "super-hidden", i.e. marked with System AND Hidden attributes. These are local-only files that do not make sense to copy over to the other PC - folks used to run into issues with this when synchronizing their My Docs or My Pictures folders across machines.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:54 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• You're right. This is exactly by design. SyncToy does not copy thumbs.db and desktop.ini files if they are "super-hidden", i.e. marked with System AND Hidden attributes. These are local-only files that do not make sense to copy over to the other PC - folks used to run into issues with this when synchronizing their My Docs or My Pictures folders across machines.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:54 PM
    Answerer
  • OK fine. But what is the best way to verify that the sync worked outside of taking synctoy's word?

Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Use another tool to compare. XXCOPY has switches that allow you to get reports of the overlapping and non-overlapping sets of files, i.e.,

Files in both A and B

Files in A but not in B

Files in B but not in A

Tom

Saturday, August 30, 2008 8:54 PM